Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos mac and iCloud

Can I remove photos from the Mac "Photos" application without removing them from iCloud? I need to free up space on my computer.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 4:39 AM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2019 2:04 AM in response to JRLL25

Photos and iCloud are connected whilst online. If you delete a photograph from the Application [Photos] they will be deleted from iCloud on all devices, as soon as you are connected online. A message will appear that warns 'Delete from all your devices? This item will be deleted from iCloud Photos on all your devices.' If you make this choice the photograph will be 'deleted' However it will remain in your Recently Deleted file within your Library for about a month. By looking in the Recently Deleted file you will see a countdown marker on each photograph that reduces one day at a time. At any time until the day the a deleted photograph expiry date reaches you can restore it back to your Photos library by selecting it [right click] and choosing Restore. If you delete it again the countdown will resume from around 30 days. If you delete any photograph from the Recently Deleted file it will be permanently deleted from iCloud. If you are unsure about this process try taking a random photograph which doesn't mean anything to you and try this delete process to test the procedure.

photos mac and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.