Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Photos location messed up

Before Catalina I could see my photos in the Master folder in date order and the photo names were consecutive jpg files. Now they are all over the place with stupid long names in folders 0-9 and A-F. One reason I want to find an individual photo in Finder is to add it to a reply on Twitter. I can start a new tweet by sharing directly from Photos into the Twitter app. I also like to copy my latest photos to a usb hard drive but can't find a way to do it with Catalina. I know Apple say to use Photos to view them and store in iCloud but I used to be able to do what I want and now I cannot. Very very annoying!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 9:15 AM

This is a change in Catalina. Photos does no longer store the originals in the Master folder in nice subfolders, named by the date of the Import session. The files will be renamed, randomly, so we cannot find them by searching for the filenames, the dates of the original files are changed, some meta data may be stripped. To get your original files back out of Photos 5.0 you have to use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified originals" and save a copy on an external file. I recommend to back up all originals before you import them to Photos, so you can save the original file creation dates and all metadata tags.

For an emergency access to the original image files you could use the application PowerPhotos. The free trial will suffice for this. When you browse your Photos Library in PowerPhotos and select a photo and ctrl-click, you will a command "Reveal in Finder". This will show you the cryptically named original. But the first launch of PowerPhotos takes a long time; I am always launching when I start working with Photos, so it will be ready when I need it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 9:15 AM in response to wraighty

This is a change in Catalina. Photos does no longer store the originals in the Master folder in nice subfolders, named by the date of the Import session. The files will be renamed, randomly, so we cannot find them by searching for the filenames, the dates of the original files are changed, some meta data may be stripped. To get your original files back out of Photos 5.0 you have to use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified originals" and save a copy on an external file. I recommend to back up all originals before you import them to Photos, so you can save the original file creation dates and all metadata tags.

For an emergency access to the original image files you could use the application PowerPhotos. The free trial will suffice for this. When you browse your Photos Library in PowerPhotos and select a photo and ctrl-click, you will a command "Reveal in Finder". This will show you the cryptically named original. But the first launch of PowerPhotos takes a long time; I am always launching when I start working with Photos, so it will be ready when I need it.

Catalina Photos location messed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.