Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Order of the smart play list songs were opposite after transferred to iPod

After I start using Catalina, I have a trouble with smart play list.

The order of smart play list in the iTune on Mac is opposite order when I transferred to iPod Touch. It is serious problem for the classical music lovers.

Please let me know how to fix it.

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 2:40 PM

iTunes or Music will show a list in ascending or descending order as you choose, and you can sort on different column headings. A playlist copied to the device will be shown in playlist order, ascending. So you need to get the list in iTunes or Music sorted the way that you want it, and then copy that order to playlist order, and if the list is currently in descending order you need to reverse that. Use the songs view for the list. Right-click the playlist name and click Copy to Play Order to ensure the current order is captured. Reveal the current play order by clicking the heading of the left most column of numbers if not already selected and click the triangle at the top to put in ascending order if needed. Now see if the order is what you want, or upside down. If it is upside down, reverse the order with the triangle at the top of the sort column, copy to play order, then reverse once more. The triangle should now be pointing up, and the list should be in the order you want. Sync.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 2:40 PM in response to tsuyoshi241

iTunes or Music will show a list in ascending or descending order as you choose, and you can sort on different column headings. A playlist copied to the device will be shown in playlist order, ascending. So you need to get the list in iTunes or Music sorted the way that you want it, and then copy that order to playlist order, and if the list is currently in descending order you need to reverse that. Use the songs view for the list. Right-click the playlist name and click Copy to Play Order to ensure the current order is captured. Reveal the current play order by clicking the heading of the left most column of numbers if not already selected and click the triangle at the top to put in ascending order if needed. Now see if the order is what you want, or upside down. If it is upside down, reverse the order with the triangle at the top of the sort column, copy to play order, then reverse once more. The triangle should now be pointing up, and the list should be in the order you want. Sync.

tt2

Oct 29, 2019 4:44 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have tried and copied the current order to the Play order, but after the sync, the order on iPod didn't change. I also tried that changing ascending to depending (although it doesn't make sense, because the order on iTune and iPod is opposite.) The change was not transferred into iPod list. I can change the order on iTune without any problem. The problem is that the changed order never transferred into iPod.

Oct 29, 2019 5:51 PM in response to tsuyoshi241

As noted a list that is organised in descending order on your computer will be displayed in ascending order on the device, i.e. the opposite order. If you've got the right order in the computer and it still is wrong on the device you can try removing the list from the device completely, then adding it back. If it is a smart playlist it may help to turn off live updating.

tt2

Order of the smart play list songs were opposite after transferred to iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.