Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Not Working

Safari Version 13.0.1, has suddenly stopped working on my Mac Book Pro. When I try to search or click on one of my favorites the blue "working line" starts under the address bar, but then nothing happens. I have cleared my cache, cleared my history, closed and restarted Safari, restarted my computer, etc, but nothing has worked. Firefox works fine. Any idea of what the issue might be?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 4:06 PM

Hi,

ee if the Safari 13.0.2 update is available for your Mac.

Open the App Store then select Updates on the left.

If not, try the help in this Apple support article > If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 29, 2019 7:29 PM in response to RealRogerBird

If the update doesn't fix the problem, are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Oct 30, 2019 9:43 AM in response to RealRogerBird

You have adware installed. 

Run EtreCheck again.

In the Sidebar, click the Security button.

Locate  and remove entries under  Adware and Unsigned files.

Click the “Remove” button.

I would uninstall Bitdefender. It tends to interfere with the computer's operation while providing minimal to no benefit unless you work with Windows files. Most long time posters recommend not using antivirus software or cleaning software such as CleanMyMac. They can adversely affect normal computer operation.

Bitdefender uninstall

Bitdefender uninstall (2)

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Quit/reopen Safari and test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.