Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is sh and why is it asking for access to all my keystrokes across all apps after Catalina upgrade?

Hi. Thanks for reading and any possible replies in advance.

Some people don't understand that I do appreciate their replies, so I ask you to accept that I must be an a-hole in the way I reply because I am detail oriented. Sorry, it's my problem as an artist, I am very detail oriented, and the fault is all mine.

The issue is something where because my son cracked the screen (right bottom corner) he has a new MacBook Pro and am just returning to the Mac. Because it was new to me and I like to stay up-to-date, I upgraded to MacOS X Catalina on our mid 2015 i7 15" MacBook Pro.

I was really surprised after the upgrade to find the Firewall turned off, I did turn it on.

But after I had upgraded to Catalina, and just before I turned the Firewall on, I get a message that sh wants system wide access to my keystrokes even when I am using another app.

What is sh? A shell? Why would it ever need access to any app? Is this someone who pinged my son, found an open firewall and screwed with the shell and added a key logger?

Not real sure of anything, but I definitely want to secure this thing. Not happy my son did not.

That said, I thank you for reading any replies addressing this situation.

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 8:37 PM

"sh" is a shorthand for "bash" which is the standard shell used by Unix. However, I do not know why what you described happened after installing Catalina. In fact, I have never heard of that happening after installing any version of macOS.

Perhaps it is generated by third-party software you have installed. Due to added security measures in Catalina many apps will need to be granted certain access in order to run.

If you are using a hardware router in which you are using NAT to assign IP addresses to connected devices and computers, then you don't have much need for the firewall. You will be better protected by installing and using a VPN or buying a VPN-enabled router.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 8:37 PM in response to SymbioticDesign

"sh" is a shorthand for "bash" which is the standard shell used by Unix. However, I do not know why what you described happened after installing Catalina. In fact, I have never heard of that happening after installing any version of macOS.

Perhaps it is generated by third-party software you have installed. Due to added security measures in Catalina many apps will need to be granted certain access in order to run.

If you are using a hardware router in which you are using NAT to assign IP addresses to connected devices and computers, then you don't have much need for the firewall. You will be better protected by installing and using a VPN or buying a VPN-enabled router.

Oct 29, 2019 9:55 PM in response to Kappy

My router is a piece of junk $300.00 Linksys with A/C which has always had intermittent connectivity issues. I bought it because it said Cisco on the packaging and after the sale I found out Cisco sold Linksys because they were an extreme budget brand using low quality parts and undercutting Cisco quality. I have called their support line several times and they were as unhelpful as they possibly could be. I am not confident that if they replaced the router I would get a good one, usually they send a refurb that has even bigger issues (only one of which they may or may not have fixed). Some things you can't buy cheap or refurb, but I am still miffed how I got taken for a $300 "Always-On" brand new router that I needed to count on, that I have to reset once a day. But as an artist I can't afford new equipment whenever I want (and sometimes even when I need) it.

I plan on building a Pi based dedicated hardware VPN server, but note that VPN is not always an answer. Nord has been hacked and kept it to themselves a long time. It is hard to trust anyone, these days, certainly not corporations.

I don't think that any shell should have access to all keystrokes, and certainly not across all apps systemwide, and certainly not 2nd life, either, @Bradley. I may be wrong, but that is why I am posting here to check that out.

My son had this computer at high school, so I think someone probably managed to install a key logger on it before the Catalina upgrade and Catalina is simply bringing it to my attention. My son is super smart and has a full ride at college. I wish I was as smart as he is. So I think someone may have tried to use a key logger to cheat off his papers & essays?

I wonder if there is a way to replace the sh with the stock version from Catalina and see if that works without any such permissions? As a graphic artist and UX guy, I do not require a shell often, if ever. Then again, I would think that the install would've included a new sh. So, now I am curious what would be up.

One possibility is that there is a sh based virus or security program? But I am worried if no one knows anything about it and will not give it that permission until I hear a reasonable explanation, nevertheless.

The only other thing I have with that privilege is OBS, but it needs it to have that permission to record my display no matter what app I am in and still have control, and even the hot keys are a big bonus.

Thanks, @Kappy. Thanks for your input as well, @Bradley, that's something to watch out for.

Thanks, Guys! -SD

What is sh and why is it asking for access to all my keystrokes across all apps after Catalina upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.