Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC Apple Hardware Test

Mac mini (late 2012) still supported (supposedly). Cannot get AHT to work any more. Just an error message. Has Apple really stopped supporting AHT?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 12:53 PM

11 replies

Oct 30, 2019 12:57 PM in response to oscara7

Whats the error message?

If you have firmware password enabled you may need to disable it in system recovery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

• Some Mac computers that shipped with OS X Lion v10.7 or later will start up from AHT over the Internet if your startup disk doesn't contain AHT, or if you hold down Option-D at startup. This requires an Internet connection over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
  • If you're using OS X Lion v10.7 or earlier and you can't get AHT to start, see if you have an OS X installation disc named “Applications Install Disc 2.” Insert the disc in your internal optical drive or external Apple SuperDrive before following the steps above. Or, if you're using a MacBook Air (Late 2010), plug the MacBook Air Software Reinstall thumb drive into your USB port instead.

Nov 2, 2019 11:47 AM in response to oscara7

I've only used the free version once or twice so I'm not sure since the free version does not do automatic scanning (at least after the trial period).

If you have the paid version, then according to this forum thread you just need to turn off the automatic check for updates and delete scheduled scans.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/235595-run-on-demand-scans-only-with-no-processes-running-otherwise/

Oct 31, 2019 8:49 AM in response to HWTech

The Mini is very slow to boot (60+ sec) and is generally sluggish. The monitor flashes and goes dark occasionally and then returns to normal. This occurs on two different displays. The Mini will not go into " sleep" mode, only on or off.

First aid indicates nothing wrong, so I assume I have a hardware problem.

Oct 31, 2019 2:19 PM in response to oscara7

The hard drive looks good.

Uninstall the App Cleaner app as it is not needed on a Mac since those types of apps tend to cause more problems than they solve. Plus those apps tend to slow down the system.

MalwareBytes is fine, but if it was my system I would not have it running all the time, but the choice here is yours.

MAC Apple Hardware Test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.