Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How well does windows 10 run on an external drive?

So I’m looking to use boot camp for windows 10 on an external SSD. I’ll be using programs like auto cad and solid works, and I’m wondering if I use a fast SSD will the performance be similar to using the internal drive? Or would it be significantly slower affecting the performance of programs like auto-cad?

For reference Im currently using a:

2018 MBP, 15”

i7, 16GB ram, 500GB storage

With the upgraded graphics card.

thanks everyone!

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 9:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 7:16 AM

If "some guy" is running Windows 10 on an external drive he is doing so illegally and not using Boot Camp Assistant. If you want to also do something illegal we can not help you.

Do as LonerT suggested.

9 replies

Nov 4, 2019 4:23 AM in response to ericz34

On a 500GB MBP, you can split the drive in half, and run Windows on the internal disk. You can reduce macOS storage by putting files on an external disk, which is a much cleaner solution than looking for solutions which are unsupported. Windows2Go under Windows Enterprise will support external storage, but you will not be able to use portability, due to drivers and hardware differences.

How well does windows 10 run on an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.