Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 13.2.1 HomePod no longer plays my radio station from tunein!

What happened?

I used to say: Hey Siri, play .... and it would say: playing ... from tunein.

Now it says: I cannot find ... in your music.

Regards

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 6:54 AM

I'm sure I heard we were supposed to get more choice with Internet Radio with the new update, not less. As it happens I've found a workaround using the new handoff feature that should let you play any stream you can find on your iOS device. See iTunes | Internet Radio for the list of stations that can be found in iTunes, try https://www.internet-radio.com/, or visit the station's website and find its link in Safari on your device, then bring your device to the HomePod and it should take over. You should be able to add the station URL as a bookmark on your device.

Ah, turns out it works as AirPlay rather than a true handoff but perhaps better than nothing.

tt2

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2019 6:54 AM in response to Alfonso

I'm sure I heard we were supposed to get more choice with Internet Radio with the new update, not less. As it happens I've found a workaround using the new handoff feature that should let you play any stream you can find on your iOS device. See iTunes | Internet Radio for the list of stations that can be found in iTunes, try https://www.internet-radio.com/, or visit the station's website and find its link in Safari on your device, then bring your device to the HomePod and it should take over. You should be able to add the station URL as a bookmark on your device.

Ah, turns out it works as AirPlay rather than a true handoff but perhaps better than nothing.

tt2

Nov 16, 2019 9:51 AM in response to Jim Williams

read this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250822297 The problem is due to the homeapp voice recognisation setting. Turn it off, you should be able to stream it as below but note that personal requests like siri shortcuts etc will not work until to set the voice recognisation on again.. So you need to turn it on and off as needed to get the radio streaming request and personal requests to work

Nov 16, 2019 10:31 AM in response to Alfonso

read this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250822297 The problem is due to the homeapp voice recognisation setting. Turn it off, you should be able to stream it as below but note that personal requests like siri shortcuts etc will not work until to set the voice recognisation on again.. So you need to turn it on and off as needed to get the radio streaming request and personal requests to work

Oct 31, 2019 11:16 AM in response to turingtest2

This solution you suggested works. Thanks for that.

But this is not nearly as convenient as the way it was before the update.

The problem is that now, if I have to turn off the phone or the app, also the speakers stop playing.

Before, the HomePod could play Tunein stations independently of my other devices. Sooooo convenient.

On an unrelated note. I hope you can answer this:

Where is the command to turn on/off HomePod Handoff. I can't find it for the life of me.

Regards

Oct 31, 2019 8:08 PM in response to Alfonso

I have the same issue as Alfonso - some of my radio stations from TuneIn cannot be recognised by Siri on Homepod. I got the same error response from Homepod as Alfonso.

The main issue is, putting the handoff aside, previously we could just speak to Siri on homepod to stream the radio station without having to touch the phone. Is totally independent. You can even lay down in your bed and request it verbally from homepod and it will just stream. Now, this is totally gone... is really sucks!

Oct 31, 2019 8:30 PM in response to homepod_lover

putting handoff feature aside, before 13.2.1, you can simply do a verbal request to homepod to stream a radio station from Tunein without involving the home. You can even lay down in your bed and do a verbal request to Homepod without any phone or action. Is very cool. Now it cannot be done. This is really sucks with Apple, doing patches and patches and break other areas!

Nov 17, 2019 10:43 AM in response to homepod_lover

So let me get this straight:

With 13.1, Apple introduces radio stations accessible via Siri on HomePod, just to “break” this functionality with 13.2 when introducing “recognize voice” ?

It’s pretty much par for the course for Apple in the past years. Every new feature breaks some older feature, without any fair warning or good explanation.

Incredibly frustrating for users.

Does QA still exist at Apple ?

Nov 17, 2019 1:55 PM in response to dreinmund

13.2 initial release for homepod actually broke the physical equipment when resetting the homepod... the damaged equipment would need to returned to apple for a new replacement unit. After 13.2, next day, 13.2.1 was released to patch the resetting issue. Everything was fine with the Tunein Radio independent request to Siri (without involving the phone) before 13.2.1. Right after 13.2.1 release, some Tunein Radio cannot be requested independent - narrowed down to the homeapp voice recognization setting...

I was wondering too about the QA/testing of the software release, seems lagging here.....

After 13.2.1 HomePod no longer plays my radio station from tunein!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.