Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+delete to restart

Hello,

my macbook pro (mid 2012) doesn’t open and gives a message “a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+delete to restart” but nothing happens after I press them.

I tried to restart several time with same result. I tried then to press “options” key after restarting (I have windows 10 installed on bootcamp) but there were no disks at all!!..no macos and no windows!! :’(((((

after restarting for the last time a message says “No bootable device - - insert boot disk and press any key”.

Worthy to be known that it was working pretty normal!!

any help please!!! :’(((

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 6:31 PM

MayMedhat wrote:

Thanks a lot!! I’m really appreciated..
I didn’t have a USB to SATA adpater but I reused my old hard drive and it worked, so now I know the problem was in the new hard not in the cable :(
is there any way to extract my data from the failing driver???? :’(

Maybe. Maybe not. When the hard drive cable fails on these laptops it can have a multitude of symptoms. Many times people discover the defective cable when installing an SSD, yet the old hard drive worked perfectly fine.

Using Knoppix & GSmartControl can identify the majority of drive failures especially when the drive's SMART attributes (aka "health attributes") are analyzed.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 6:31 PM in response to MayMedhat

MayMedhat wrote:

Thanks a lot!! I’m really appreciated..
I didn’t have a USB to SATA adpater but I reused my old hard drive and it worked, so now I know the problem was in the new hard not in the cable :(
is there any way to extract my data from the failing driver???? :’(

Maybe. Maybe not. When the hard drive cable fails on these laptops it can have a multitude of symptoms. Many times people discover the defective cable when installing an SSD, yet the old hard drive worked perfectly fine.

Using Knoppix & GSmartControl can identify the majority of drive failures especially when the drive's SMART attributes (aka "health attributes") are analyzed.

Oct 31, 2019 8:46 PM in response to MayMedhat

Either you have a defective hard drive cable or a failing hard drive.

If you have a USB to SATA Adapter, dock, enclosure, then you can remove the drive and try to boot it externally with an Option Boot. I don't know if Win10 will boot this way, but macOS should be able to boot if the drive is good.

You can check the health of the hard drive by creating a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). Option Boot the Knoppix USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". Once at the Knoppix desktop, click on the "Start" menu in the lower left of the Taskbar and navigate to "System Tools --> GSmartControl". If the status/condition of the drive in GSmartControl shows as failing then this is your problem, otherwise double click on the drive icon in GSmartControl and there should be an option to view and save the report which you can post here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Dec 14, 2019 1:22 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks a lot..

The cable was defected!!

I got a new hard drive and tried to install but it couldn't even be formatted so this is when I knew it was the cable, and then it worked perfectly when I changed the cable.

It was really strange since the old hard worked perfectly fine with the old cable!

Any way thank you so much!!

you were of great support!! :)))

Dec 14, 2019 6:33 PM in response to MayMedhat

I know it is hard to believe. I've seen several different symptoms when this cable fails. I've had multiple systems where we were able to image the computer without any problems, but when it came time to boot the systems they would get stuck. I guess sometimes the cable works well enough to write data one way to the drive during the imaging/cloning, but the cable can not handle the reading & writing of data which happens during booting the OS. Another system with a bad cable could not see the SSD at all.

I'm glad you were able to get the system working again and thanks for following up so it may help others in a similar situation.

a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+delete to restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.