Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Radiation Level (SAR value) of AirPods Pro

What is the actual radiation level (SAR value) of AirPods Pro? Can't find anything about it.

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 7:02 AM

@Deggie, that is not true. Both Bluetooth and cellular are non-ionizing!

The problem with in-ear Bluetooth headsets is that they are so close to the brain and may "escape" dense bone. Therefore, the radiation affecting the brain may be higher with in-ear Bluetooth headsets compared to a phone even though the phone has an overall higher emission.

Apple please protect your customers!

[Edited by Moderator]

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 7:02 AM in response to deggie

@Deggie, that is not true. Both Bluetooth and cellular are non-ionizing!

The problem with in-ear Bluetooth headsets is that they are so close to the brain and may "escape" dense bone. Therefore, the radiation affecting the brain may be higher with in-ear Bluetooth headsets compared to a phone even though the phone has an overall higher emission.

Apple please protect your customers!

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 7, 2019 2:22 AM in response to Paul Chiu

Thanks, but I know that a smartphone has SAR which is not a good thing. But I am concerned about the immediate proximity to the brain. Sure thing, toothbrushs emit radiation as well but one uses them like 4 minutes a day, instead of 4 hours ore more.

Anway, this discussion won't come to a solution until there are any officially published values. You say Airpods Pro emit low radiation, when I google I find testimonials that say the opposite.

Thanks a lot for measurement and help.

Nov 7, 2019 6:55 AM in response to martialmarv

martialmarv wrote:

Anway, this discussion won't come to a solution until there are any officially published values. You say Airpods Pro emit low radiation, when I google I find testimonials that say the opposite.

And when I Google I find testimonials that say the Earth is flat and that aliens abduct humans. Testimonials prove nothing. And are more often than not total BS. If you have links to any real properly conducted research I would love to see them.

Here's a statistic to think about: Hand held cell phones have been in use for 25 years. Over that same 25 year period the incidence of brain cancer has declined. So clearly cell phones prevent brain cancer. No? BTW, the facts are correct. The correlation may not be.

Nov 8, 2019 6:36 PM in response to martialmarv

Hey deggie, I completely agree with you that it’s vital to question where the data comes from so you can be happy that it’s reliable. However it looks like you missed the reference that the author gave which thoughtfully even provided an hyperlink to the source which includes the full methodology as well as results. In this case the the testing seems highly credible and was commissioned by Apple themselves. To save you re reading the article, here are the links

https://fccid.io/BCG-A2032/RF-Exposure-Info/12458150-S2V1-FCC-Report-SAR-4204549

https://fccid.io/BCG-A2031/RF-Exposure-Info/12458150-S1V1-FCC-Report-SAR-4204479

Whilst having differing value sar’s for each earpiece may seem counterintuitive, the author does quote ‘According to EE Times, the left AirPod communicates with the right AirPod using a different technology, near field magnetic induction (NFMI).’ and perhaps that gives a clue as to why there is a difference. Either way the figures are based on credible data not intuition.

What everyone chooses to do with the sar rating is up to them but IMHO this is a well written reliable article citing accurate data.

Nov 18, 2019 4:47 AM in response to Flozeff

Another interesting fact: if you compare the Airpods Pro with the Libratone Track Air+ (transmit power < 3mW), they last with a battery capacity of 0.2 Wh (Airpods Pro: 0.16 Wh) specified max. 6 hours (compared to the Airpods: 5h or 4.5h with ANC)). Either Libratone needs the energy for something else or the Airpods transmit with a lower power in average than assumed (source for the details of the Libratone Track Air+: https://fccid.io/Y2SLTI800).

Nov 16, 2019 12:53 PM in response to pajoam

Yes, I just read your post after I wrote mine.

Here the details for the Airpods Pro:

https://fccid.io/BCG-A2084/RF-Exposure-Info/12681939-S1V2-FCC-Report-SAR-4475947

with the text

"SAR Testing was performed on the Flat Phantom for normal use for Head. Additional SAR Testing was performed on the location closest to the Antenna (Rear of the Device) of similar configuration to demonstrate compliance. This was reported as the highest SAR."

The SAR value for „head“ is 0,097 / 0,072 W/kg (left and right are a bit different) and 0,6 for „body“, means „rear of the device“.

So the interesting value is the one for „head“, right?

Dec 6, 2019 5:33 AM in response to martialmarv

Dear Apple,

I am a big fan of your products and I am really disappointed that you leave your customers hanging on the question, how dangerous our Air Pods 1, 2 and pro. Please formulate a clear statement. I need to use them for work, several hours a day. I need some guidance from your or need to send my products back.

Kind regards Harald

Nov 4, 2019 1:11 PM in response to martialmarv

The Radio/Microwave radiation levels were mostly within 0.05 to 0.1 mW/cm^2 with spikes when I switch from ANC to transparent to near 0.2 mW/cm^2. I have not seen any jumps above the dangerous level beyond 0.2 mW/cm^2 during my first 2 days of use.

I also measured difference between using Android and iPhone. There were pretty similar in terms of radiation levels.

What was different is that my Android OnePlus 7 Pro needed only 40% output level to match 60% from my iPhone X.

The magnets inside the Airpods Pro will trigger spikes in some magnetic meters, but these are not dangerous in my experience and opinion as an IEEE Electrical Engineer.

Nov 5, 2019 5:06 PM in response to pwh_

I said that Bluetooth and WiFi is non-ionizing and to date there is no scientific studies that show that they cause any biological damage to cells. None. And the WHO, that initially said that use of the iPhone could possibly lead to tumors withdrew their original study after there were several peer reviews and follow up studies showing that there study was flawed.

Given the low range of Bluetooth, and the fact that the headphones primarily receive a stream, not transmit one there is no chance of damage from the non-ionizing radiation. I suppose Apple could stop using Bluetooth in them and that would protect you because if they lowered the transmission they would not work.

Use wired headphones if you are that concerned.

Nov 6, 2019 2:34 PM in response to martialmarv

If you are worried over radiation, your iPhone or Android cell phone inside your pocket pose a greater danger than an airpod in your ear.

I have measured carefully many dozen of these devices and Bluetooth units emit far lower radiation than their main transmitters.

Not to alarm you more, but an electric toothbrush emits EMF radiation en par with microwave ovens and electric vacuum motors.

Nov 7, 2019 6:34 AM in response to martialmarv

martialmarv wrote:

Sorry, I replied to you mistakenly.
But thanks for your science-backed solution - helps a lot lol.

Yes, my opinion is based on science. And common sense.

The overall current data indicates that, while further study might be warranted, there is little evidence that cell phones and (by extension) Bluetooth headsets represent a danger.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

The National Cancer Insistuted says that "The most consistent health risk associated with cell phone use is distracted driving and vehicle accidents".

Nov 8, 2019 8:19 AM in response to martialmarv

martialmarv wrote:

Thanks, but actually I didn't want to discuss cancer risks of cell phones in this post. Just wanted to know the official radiation level of AirPods Pro.

Well, you're not going to find it in this user-to-user forum, and your probably not going to find it anywhere because there is no requirement to measure or publish SAR levels for Bluetooth devices.

Radiation Level (SAR value) of AirPods Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.