Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to export raw files from the photos app to a photo editing program, without using a plug in?

If i want to edit a photo in Luminar, I can't get the RAW file into the editing program. I can edit it with the plug in in Photo's, but I want to do my editing in Luminar.

How can I export a raw file to either the editing program or just a folder in my images?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 7:53 AM

When I want to pass a RAW file to an external editor, I am using the External Editors extension from the AppStore (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/external-editors-for-photos/id1074021862?mt=12). It is not very expensive (I do not know the current price, but I got it roughly for 1€.

With External Editors you can do two things -

• select the file format, how to send the image to the external editor,
  • or use an external editor as a stand alone application, then replace the image in Photos by the edited version, so you get a Master-version pair in Photos.

For example - calling Luminar 3 with the External Editors Extensions and passing a RAW file:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2019 7:53 AM in response to MrZwart

When I want to pass a RAW file to an external editor, I am using the External Editors extension from the AppStore (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/external-editors-for-photos/id1074021862?mt=12). It is not very expensive (I do not know the current price, but I got it roughly for 1€.

With External Editors you can do two things -

• select the file format, how to send the image to the external editor,
  • or use an external editor as a stand alone application, then replace the image in Photos by the edited version, so you get a Master-version pair in Photos.

For example - calling Luminar 3 with the External Editors Extensions and passing a RAW file:

How to export raw files from the photos app to a photo editing program, without using a plug in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.