Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gray screens suck when nothing works and your poor

I have 2011 macbook pro .None of the start up commands used to fix a gray screen work . And the computer goes right to gray. I have tried everything . I know this is old but I am disabled on a fixed income. So I need it to work .

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 10:54 AM

Considering the age of the device, it may be a hardware failure. Take it to your nearest Apple store for diagnostic tests (that is free) and then you will find out what the problem is and if it can be fixed.

6 replies

Nov 1, 2019 3:24 PM in response to gjacobs1

a non-trivial number of 15-in Dual Graphics computers suffered from the failure of the discrete graphics chip. If you are NOT using an external display, you may be able to use a hobbyist hack to disable the Discrete graphics processor and continue with only the Integrated graphics processor. If you want to edit Videos or use external display, these hacks will not do anything good for you.

The easiest one to install requires that you boot into single-user mode: Hold command + S at startup. if you get to a black terminal screen with white letters, there is some hope you can apply the patches required.

This hack is not for normal use, you may hurt yourself or you computer, and novice users should not even consider it.

Nov 1, 2019 5:44 PM in response to John Galt

There is one more than John mentioned, that was developed as a side effect of pushing those old, unqualified Macs into later MacOS than Apple supports, and that is why I am being circumspect. I have been scolded for encouraging novice readers to take excessive risks.

If your Mac can boot into Single-User made and you want to proceed, I can provide some stronger hints about how to find that hack. Post back if you are willing to assume those risks

Gray screens suck when nothing works and your poor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.