Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air shuts itself off constantly. I can only start it by keeping the power button pressed during startup and login. Then it constantly asks to shut down or restart.

My MacBook Air running High Sierra can only be started by holding down the Power button all through startup and login. It then asks to shut down, and does so even if not directed to. The machine is now useless. Any suggestions other than a discus throw?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 3:10 PM

Boot into Safe Mode for some app tests to see if rebuilding the caches and disabling some add-ons avoids the issues, and boot Hardware Test or Diagnostics for hardware tests, then potentially a repair if there’s a hardware issue shown.

5 replies

My MacBook Air shuts itself off constantly. I can only start it by keeping the power button pressed during startup and login. Then it constantly asks to shut down or restart.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.