Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nano and Catalina

Can anyone help? I plugged my iPod nano 7th generation into my upgraded Mac (Catalina) to update some music playlists. After teething problems I restored the nano to factory settings. I then reloaded some music playlists to test.

Sync fine and the test playlists appeared after ejection of the nano.

I plugged the nano in to the mac again to add some favourite music. I used manual sync to add my choices but a message appeared warning me that I would be removing and resyncing my content with library content greyed out until I clicked ok. The upshot of all this is that each time I want to update a playlist or add another album on the nano, I have to start the tedious process of reticking every item I want in my nano library.

This is ridiculous. Previously the content of the nano appeared on my mac and I had the option to update or add, and not be forced re input every item. Am I doing something wrong?

iPod nano (7th Gen)

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 3:09 AM

Thanks Brenden but I've checked all this out already.

I have had no problem working out the new arrangements for iTunes Catalina on my iPhone and iPad. However when I plug my iPod nano 7th generation into my macbook pro to update playlists, or add new albums, my previous selections are greyed out.

I re-tick sync music on my iPod, I re-tick selected artists etc. Then a message pops up telling me that this will remove all items in my library. If I agree I lose all my ticked selections on the iPod and I have to go through the tedious process of adding again the hundreds of items I want on iPod. If I cancel- I can't update my music. The display on the macbook never remembers my request to sync selected items only.

I have spent 6 hours online with Apple Support and they can't figure it out. I have taken 2 trips to my local Apple Genius Bar. There I reformatted my iPod and everything worked fine. Then I went home and tried to update my selection in the iPod. Same thing happened.

On older versions of iTunes, I plugged my iPod into my macbook and a brief sync process took place. After a few seconds I was then able to add new items. I didn't need to update playlists as this process had been initiated on plug in. What has happened? Maybe Apple has forgotten the people who own these older iPods.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 3:09 AM in response to brenden dv

Thanks Brenden but I've checked all this out already.

I have had no problem working out the new arrangements for iTunes Catalina on my iPhone and iPad. However when I plug my iPod nano 7th generation into my macbook pro to update playlists, or add new albums, my previous selections are greyed out.

I re-tick sync music on my iPod, I re-tick selected artists etc. Then a message pops up telling me that this will remove all items in my library. If I agree I lose all my ticked selections on the iPod and I have to go through the tedious process of adding again the hundreds of items I want on iPod. If I cancel- I can't update my music. The display on the macbook never remembers my request to sync selected items only.

I have spent 6 hours online with Apple Support and they can't figure it out. I have taken 2 trips to my local Apple Genius Bar. There I reformatted my iPod and everything worked fine. Then I went home and tried to update my selection in the iPod. Same thing happened.

On older versions of iTunes, I plugged my iPod into my macbook and a brief sync process took place. After a few seconds I was then able to add new items. I didn't need to update playlists as this process had been initiated on plug in. What has happened? Maybe Apple has forgotten the people who own these older iPods.

Nov 6, 2019 4:30 PM in response to jacquelinedemontfort

Good afternoon jacquelinedemontfort,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you updated your computer to macOS Catalina and are trying to sync your iPod nano (7th generation) with it. The resources below explain how this is done using Finder.

What happened to iTunes?

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

Listen to music and more in the Music app

Take care.

iPod nano and Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.