Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Files Appended: Repeating Last 30-40 seconds of song

Large music library (38K songs) and it appears some files are being (or have been) appended to repeat the last 30-40 seconds of the song. The Mac OS Music app (and iTunes before it) seem to continue to display the correct track time until you select the track, then the time is updated.

Example:

The track "Dedicated To The One I Love" should be 2:04 long (see the Quicktime player above displaying the correct time) however the Music app is displaying the additional 42 seconds that has been appended.

This is clearer when I open the file in Audacity where you can see the appended section highlighted below:

I am aware several others have posted similar questions/issues and it has been suggested that this may be caused by metadata updates --album artwork for example. That certainly applies to the track above, as I have updated the artwork to a custom album cover in the last few months. However, I updated the artwork for other songs at the same time (in the same album) and they are unaffected by this.

I am hoping to 1) confirm what is causing this to happen and 2) determine how I can identify all the affected tracks since it seems to be a random phenomenon (and I have thousands of potentially affected tracks).

My gut is telling me it won't be possible to determine the root cause without involvement of Apple, and I am guessing this would be low on their priority list as they seem to be moving away from supporting users with file-based media libraries like mine in favor of streaming solutions. I am also guessing that the only way to identify the affected songs will be to go through each track one-by-one.

Despite my intuitions, I thought I would put this out there to the Apple Community to see if anyone had any insights or suggestions. Thank you in advance for your time.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 3:17 PM

What worked for me was to select all the files I wanted to repair in iTunes and then "File -> Convert -> Create AAC version". This process creates a duplicate of every selected track without the appended ending, while preserving all the metadata. Moreover, it can be done for multiple files at a time.

You can then delete the old versions as explained here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5051826?answerId=22080099022#22080099022

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2019 3:17 PM in response to Archer1941

What worked for me was to select all the files I wanted to repair in iTunes and then "File -> Convert -> Create AAC version". This process creates a duplicate of every selected track without the appended ending, while preserving all the metadata. Moreover, it can be done for multiple files at a time.

You can then delete the old versions as explained here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5051826?answerId=22080099022#22080099022

Nov 12, 2019 8:23 AM in response to Archer1941

I have the same sort of file-based music library, and the same problem, and all the same intuitions (that this won't be solved). In my case the repeat is more like the last 5-10 seconds of the song and, as said above, it's not every song, and it only happens on iPhone, not in iTunes on my MacBook Air. My 25-year honeymoon with Apple is finally nearing an end as its devices become less and less hospitable to playing music while new bells & whistles I don't care about are constantly being added. Ever since iOS 11, there have more and more problems.

Dec 13, 2019 2:20 PM in response to Archer1941

Having the same issue, though I think it has to do with updating cover artwork. Ever since this new update and cover art and iTunes being a complete mess little seems to work correctly. Ow I see that some of my music that I had no choice but to add new artwork to has an extra few seconds repeated at the end of those particular album’s songs. Get on it Apple!!! This is uncalled for.

Dec 14, 2019 7:42 AM in response to Archer1941

Hi everyone,

as I had the same problem I've tried to figure out a solution and, after lots of time, I found a possible way to solve it.

I've noticed that the lenght of the song on iTunes was longer than the same song on Music App on my iPhone XS Max.

So these are the steps I followed:

1 - Select the specific song and click on: "info"

2- Go to "Options"

3- Here you can solve the problem. You have just to reduce the lenght of the song by inserting manually when it should end (for example, if the song lasts 3.56, you have to reduce this time by inserting 3.50)

4- Click on "OK"

5- Synchronize your Device to update.

Hope this work even for you guys.

PS: I know that for Libraries with 3-4000 songs it can be frustrating to do this, but it can be a valid solution before a possibile firmware uodate by Apple.

Cheers

Dec 31, 2019 7:55 AM in response to Archer1941

Thank you all for your replies and assistance. Nice to know I was not the only one to experience this. Since I initially wrote this post I have subscribed to Apple Music/Match and, due to the fact that I mostly listen to music on my iPhone and not on my iMac, do not experience this issue anymore --mainly because the "matched" tracks in Apple Music's library are what is referenced by the iOS Music app and they do not contain the error. I have also slowly been manually replacing the bad tracks/files from my library with corresponding tracks from Apple Music's library.

I did try creating an AAC version of a track/file I know had the issue and it did work --but not exactly in the way described by zetaeffe...the Mac OS Music app suddenly started playing both tracks (the original and the new AAC copy) correctly --without the appended section. !!!????!!!

Anyway, appreciate all the info provided and your time.

Music Files Appended: Repeating Last 30-40 seconds of song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.