Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Require Passcode Immediately

Under Settings>Face ID and Passcode>Require Passcode, the only option available is immediately and I am unable to uncheck the box. I would like to change it to some other amount of time so that every time I turn off the screen I don’t have to pick up the phone and face the camera to open it. I read on Apple support that if Face ID and Apple Pay are turned on than for security the only setting available is “Immediately” but I turned both off and reset my phone and it still only give me the one option. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 7:34 AM

So I tried the same thing again today and when I turned Face ID off (to unlock the phone) the Require Password menu was updated with all the other options. Success! I have no idea why it didn’t work yesterday.

I also don’t understand why Face ID would be a security issue that would require the phone to be immediately locked. For now I’m glad it’s working, but it would be nice to have my phone remain unlocked for a period after I use Face ID to open it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2019 7:34 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

So I tried the same thing again today and when I turned Face ID off (to unlock the phone) the Require Password menu was updated with all the other options. Success! I have no idea why it didn’t work yesterday.

I also don’t understand why Face ID would be a security issue that would require the phone to be immediately locked. For now I’m glad it’s working, but it would be nice to have my phone remain unlocked for a period after I use Face ID to open it.

Nov 2, 2019 9:19 AM in response to Derekk_77

To be clear, did you turn off Face ID, so you have to enter a passcode every time you want to use your phone? And did you restart the phone after turning off Face ID?

As you noted, if you have Face ID enabled or you have cards in your Wallet it must be set to immediately. In addition, if you have a company email account on your computer the Exchange administrator can require it to be Immediately.

There is another setting that might be of interest. Go to Settings/Display & Brightness - Auto-Lock. This is the setting that determines how long your screen stays on before locking.

iPhone 11 Require Passcode Immediately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.