Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More dropped calls since 4.0.1 update?

I was just trying to talk to my girlfriend on my drive home and the call dropped 4 times. I finally pulled off and tried talking to her with my phone laying still and on speakerphone and with 5 bars and 3G showing, it dropped the call 3 more times. Never had this happen until the 4.0.1 update.

Am I alone or have others noticed this?

Power Mac/iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 1:27 AM

38 replies

Jul 16, 2010 5:49 PM in response to modular747

Unless it is just the time of day, I'm getting a worse signal after the update, not just fewer bars. I know exactly what the update changed with the bars and db levels and expected to see my 5 bars go down to 3 or 4. Before the update I was getting 5 bars right here where I'm sitting. After the update I am only getting 1 to 2, sometimes 3 bars. I did a speed test yesterday morning before the update while at 5 bars and got 3270 kbps down and 1015 kbps up. After the update I have run multiple speed tests from this same spot and am lucky to get 500 kbps down. I just ran two tests back to back at going between 2 and 3 bars. First test was 472kbps down and 31 up, second test was 339 down and 14 up. That is pathetic. And I was just bragging about my fast speeds yesterday. I don't like the look of the new bars either. I didn't want to update but figured that I might as well since I'll have to eventually when 4.1 comes out. I figured I might as well get used to it now. I'll run some more tests later to see if the network is just congested right now. Like I was saying I expected to drop a bar or two, but going from 5 to 1 or 2 bars blows. I was hoping my signal would still be the same even though I see less bars but nope, it's worse.

Jul 16, 2010 6:44 PM in response to BRiPod

Why would they do this?

"They" didn't. The update has absolutely no effect on data speed, only bar display. If you are getting poorer data throughput after, it's certainly due to network issues - there have been consistent drops in performance after EVERY update from all the people "checking it out" , and overloading AT&T. There are also daily fluctuations.

You might also want to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posthoc_ergo_propterhoc

Jul 16, 2010 6:46 PM in response to spiffking03

spiffking03 wrote:
I was just trying to talk to my girlfriend on my drive home and the call dropped 4 times. I finally pulled off and tried talking to her with my phone laying still and on speakerphone and with 5 bars and 3G showing, it dropped the call 3 more times. Never had this happen until the 4.0.1 update.

Am I alone or have others noticed this?

have you tried switching to edge instead of 3G? See if that helps. Lot of people don't realize it but EDGE works better for voice than 3G does and uses less battery power. The only thing you need 3G for really is data speed.

Jul 19, 2010 3:16 AM in response to Stevenam81

It must have just been the time of day or something else with the network. I'm no longer getting a worse signal after updating to 4.0.1. I'm getting 3 to 4 bars and just ran a speed test in the same spot as my last tests. I got 3380kbps down and 1271kbps up. These are my best results yet. Anyway, just wanted to post an update. It wouldn't be right for me to only post my negative results and not post my results when they improve. I was obviously mistaken about getting worse signal after the update. Except for those bad results immediately after I updated to 4.0.1, my signal has been the same as it was before. I just see less bars which is expected. I still don't like the new look of the bars.

Jul 19, 2010 11:23 AM in response to Stevenam81

Stevenam81 wrote:
It must have just been the time of day or something else with the network. I'm no longer getting a worse signal after updating to 4.0.1. I'm getting 3 to 4 bars and just ran a speed test in the same spot as my last tests. I got 3380kbps down and 1271kbps up. These are my best results yet. Anyway, just wanted to post an update. It wouldn't be right for me to only post my negative results and not post my results when they improve. I was obviously mistaken about getting worse signal after the update. Except for those bad results immediately after I updated to 4.0.1, my signal has been the same as it was before. I just see less bars which is expected. I still don't like the new look of the bars.

Thanks for taking the time to write back in and not leave a lasting impression that updating to the new firmware somehow degraded signal quality, which really can't happen. AT&T has been working around the clock making adjustments to their towers to improve signal quality in many areas. Usually, data loss is almost always a carrier issue, not a hardware issue.

Anyway, thanks again for writing back........

Message was edited by: rbrylawski

More dropped calls since 4.0.1 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.