Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina extremely slow to Lock and Unlock Mac using fast user switching menu

macOS Catalina extremely slow to Lock and Unlock my Mac using fast user switching menu. It take almost 5 seconds to Lock the computer and show the Login window and a long 15 seconds to login back. Never had such issue with previous versions of macOS. This is happening on a < 2 year old MacBook Pro with the maximum configuration. Disappointed to see Apple breaking a perfectly working MacBook with updates that are completely useless.

Is anyone else facing the same problem. Welcome any suggestions that might fix the problem.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 9:21 AM

I was experiencing the same issue with slow login and lock/unlock after a clean install of MacOS Catalina. After troubleshooting I noticed in the Activity monitor while accessing Users & Groups or Security & Privacy that the process listed below was consuming an unusually high amount of RAM. Normally uses 25-30MB RAM and was using between 600MB and 1GB.

com.apple.preferences.security.remoteservice (System Preferences)

The problem in my case seems to have been a corrupted user profile photo. The profile photo was selected from the User & Groups for the user experiencing the issue. When creating a Test User this issue was not experienced. After changing the profile photo to a MacOS default image and testing lock/unlock the process mentioned above was back to using 30MB of RAM and the system was very responsive both with the password and unlock using Apple Watch. Changing back to the user selected photo the issue returned and would take ~8-10 seconds to unlock.

I'm guessing this was a photo file corruption of some kind as we are able to select other photo's from the Photo's app and they worked without re-creating the issue.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2019 9:21 AM in response to Phani.mahankali

I was experiencing the same issue with slow login and lock/unlock after a clean install of MacOS Catalina. After troubleshooting I noticed in the Activity monitor while accessing Users & Groups or Security & Privacy that the process listed below was consuming an unusually high amount of RAM. Normally uses 25-30MB RAM and was using between 600MB and 1GB.

com.apple.preferences.security.remoteservice (System Preferences)

The problem in my case seems to have been a corrupted user profile photo. The profile photo was selected from the User & Groups for the user experiencing the issue. When creating a Test User this issue was not experienced. After changing the profile photo to a MacOS default image and testing lock/unlock the process mentioned above was back to using 30MB of RAM and the system was very responsive both with the password and unlock using Apple Watch. Changing back to the user selected photo the issue returned and would take ~8-10 seconds to unlock.

I'm guessing this was a photo file corruption of some kind as we are able to select other photo's from the Photo's app and they worked without re-creating the issue.

Nov 29, 2019 10:41 PM in response to Phani.mahankali

I did notice the increase in CPU/RAM for Window Server with Catalina. I had to go back to Mojave as there were many other issues that were show stoppers from using my Mac at work (MS Teams prompts to allow screen sharing in System Preferences even if it's already allowed, Chrome doesn't open and create a crash report every time, Parallels performance reduced by 40% etc etc). I will try and test it out again after 10.15.2 is out

macOS Catalina extremely slow to Lock and Unlock Mac using fast user switching menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.