Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody know how to turn subtitles/captions on in the apple tv roku app

Does anyone know how to turn on subtitles in the apple tv roku app???

Only reason I am using the roku app is apple tv+ episodes will not play in 4k dolby vision when mirrored to my TV via airplay 2. All other content plays fine.

Using the Roku app I can at least get 4k HDR, but I am severely hard of hearing so I need subtitles or captions. They are available for these episodes, but when I go to options/accessibility there is no way to turn them on (or off).

I have reported problem to apple support but no help as of yet.

Thanks for any suggestions/ or help.

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 5:58 PM

When the video is playing, press the up arrow on your remote to access the subtitles and audio menu.

5 replies

Nov 3, 2019 7:37 PM in response to anand62

Thanks for the info. Pressing up was what I had actually thought at first and tried that. That would be the most logical, as when casting to TV using airplay that menu appears at the top of the screen.

However, today by accident I pressed the down button (I was actually trying to pressed the middle button and missed it, and low in behold the down button caused the subtitles and audio menu to appear at the top of the screen. Maybe my Roku is different from others, I have no idea. Your answer makes the most sense to me, but for some reason my Roku (Ultra 2018) only responds to the down button.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Jan 12, 2020 6:24 PM in response to LVKeith

I watch Apple TV using Roku Premiere. Here’s what I do to get subtitles/closed captions:

While the program is playing:

1. Click the down arrow on the Roku remote. This will bring up the language menu at the top of the screen.
  2. Select “Subtitles”.
  3. Click down again. This will drop you down to the next menu line.
  4. Select “English SDH”. This will turn on English subtitles.
  5. Click down again. This will remove the language menu from the screen.

Jan 24, 2020 10:29 AM in response to jck0109

I use Apple TV+ app on my TCL Roku TV. What I have found is that the default captioning is set to "English SDH" but only half the captions display with this setting. I have to hit the down arrow, then down into the subtitle menu and select "English CC" for the captioning to work properly. My big complaint is that every time I exit the app and go back in, I have to perform this same step. The app Settings don't seem to retain my selection. I don't have to do this step every time I launch other video apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Channel, etc.). Apple needs to enable the option to select a CC/Subtitle setting that does not reset to the default every time the app launches. (I'm also not happy that if I pause for more than 2 or 3 minutes, it kicks me out of the video stream I'm playing and I have to resume the video and re-select my caption options.)

Anybody know how to turn subtitles/captions on in the apple tv roku app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.