Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to crop photo into circle?

I would like to crop some photos into a circle shape without purchasing additional software. I have seen several discussions that say you can use Preview or the Photos app but none seem to work. I am using Mojave.

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 7:27 AM

Apple's Pages application can allow you to place a oval (really a circle) mask over a photo and snap that out as a circular image. This is in the Forman menu : Image : Mask with Shape : Oval menu structure after you drop an image in Pages. Once you have the image in a circle and selected, click the Image tab on the right, and grab the image icon below File Info, and drag to your Desktop.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2019 7:27 AM in response to i2

Apple's Pages application can allow you to place a oval (really a circle) mask over a photo and snap that out as a circular image. This is in the Forman menu : Image : Mask with Shape : Oval menu structure after you drop an image in Pages. Once you have the image in a circle and selected, click the Image tab on the right, and grab the image icon below File Info, and drag to your Desktop.

Nov 3, 2019 10:51 AM in response to i2

If you start with a duplicate of a high resolution jpeg and attempt to apply the Markup Elliptical selection tool in Preview, when you click the crop button, it will warn you that the selection introduces transparency and do you want to overwrite the jpeg as a png? The resultant png is 300 dpi in my testing, just not jpeg as you preferred.

Here is a a crop result from an original JPEG image from a Leica Q2. I have chosen a black Preview window background. Note: this is a 72 dpi screen capture of the 5.6MB 300 DPI circular image (that the hosting software cannot post) cropped from Preview:

How to crop photo into circle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.