Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete iPod Photo Cache?

I now use iCloud Photos Library on my MacBook and iPhone and iPad. In the past I used iTunes (now Finder) to sync the photos on my MacBook to my iOS devices - therefore my MacBook has a large iPod Photos Cache.

Since I no longer do hard-wired syncing, can I safely delete that iPod Photo Cache to free up GBs of storage on my MacBook?

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 7:01 AM

As Starr.C wrote. You do not need the iPod Photo Cache folder, if you no longer sync with iTunes.

It has been described in this Apple Support Document (HT203156), that seems to have been removed by Apple. I can only find it on the Way Back Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20151222081002/https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203156

If you need to free up space on your hard drive, you can remove the iPod Photo Cache folder. Deleting this folder won't remove the original images from your library, and the folder will be recreated the next time you sync photos with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
The location of this folder depends on the syncing options you select in iTunes. In iTunes, if you change the selection in the Sync Photos From menu, a new iPod Photo Cache folder will be created (and the previous folder will remain).
Photos, iPhoto, or Aperture
If you're syncing from a Photos, iPhoto, or Aperture library, use the steps below to find the iPod Photo Cache folder in its default location:
From Finder, choose Go > Home from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen. If you moved your Photos Library, iPhoto Library, or Aperture Library to a different location, go to that location instead.
Open the Pictures folder and locate the Photos Library, iPhoto Library, or Aperture Library file.
Control- or right-click the file, and then choose Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu.
In the window that opens, click on and drag the iPod Photo Cache folder to the Trash.
Don't remove or modify any other file within the library package. Removing or modifying other files might cause data loss.
Close the window.

@ Starr.C: Do you perhaps know a link to an updated version of HT203156? That would be very useful to have.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2019 7:01 AM in response to jrf_usa

As Starr.C wrote. You do not need the iPod Photo Cache folder, if you no longer sync with iTunes.

It has been described in this Apple Support Document (HT203156), that seems to have been removed by Apple. I can only find it on the Way Back Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20151222081002/https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203156

If you need to free up space on your hard drive, you can remove the iPod Photo Cache folder. Deleting this folder won't remove the original images from your library, and the folder will be recreated the next time you sync photos with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
The location of this folder depends on the syncing options you select in iTunes. In iTunes, if you change the selection in the Sync Photos From menu, a new iPod Photo Cache folder will be created (and the previous folder will remain).
Photos, iPhoto, or Aperture
If you're syncing from a Photos, iPhoto, or Aperture library, use the steps below to find the iPod Photo Cache folder in its default location:
From Finder, choose Go > Home from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen. If you moved your Photos Library, iPhoto Library, or Aperture Library to a different location, go to that location instead.
Open the Pictures folder and locate the Photos Library, iPhoto Library, or Aperture Library file.
Control- or right-click the file, and then choose Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu.
In the window that opens, click on and drag the iPod Photo Cache folder to the Trash.
Don't remove or modify any other file within the library package. Removing or modifying other files might cause data loss.
Close the window.

@ Starr.C: Do you perhaps know a link to an updated version of HT203156? That would be very useful to have.

Nov 9, 2019 6:36 AM in response to jrf_usa

Hello jrf_usa,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It's understandable to be concerned when removing something from your MacBook for photos. I'll explain.

That is a cache that is stored for syncing purposes. If you have your photos stored somewhere else or in iCloud, you can safely remove it. If you'd like, you can also back up your Mac before removing the folder if you need to return it for any reason: How to back up your Mac

Enjoy your day.

Delete iPod Photo Cache?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.