Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina shutdown problems

Hi,

I installed Catalina10.15.1 on my Mac mini (late 2012).

When performing a controlled shutdown the mac will not always stop.

It seems as all processes terminates and the screen clears, but after that nothing happens.

The Catalina picture freezes on the screen.

I have to press the on/off button.

This happens almost every time the machine has been powered on for a longer time (2 - 3 hrs)

When starting up and then shutting down after some minutes everything seems to work OK.

Anyone seen this problem?

//staffan52

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 5:56 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Nov 9, 2019 11:47 AM in response to staffan52

Hello staffan52,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to shut down your Mac mini as expected after updating to macOS Catalina. To help isolate this, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

Nov 9, 2019 12:56 PM in response to rose_10

Hi sarah-s1

Thank's for your answer.

After experimenting with different apps and HW stuff I've found out that the shutdown failure is connected to Time Machine and the external disk device (2 TB WD My Passport disk)

As long as Time Machine is inaktive after a login, it works fine to perform a controlled shutdown.

If a backup has been done after a login, the problem occurs.

It's probably a problem to unmount the disk, and the shutdown process freezes.

I tested to manually eject the Time Machine disk before doing a shutdown and then everything works OK.

I tried this scenario repeatedly and got the same good result every time.

So there must be some issues that doesn't handle the disk unmount correctly.

I never had this problems before I upgraded to Catalina.

The problem occurs in both version 10.15 and 10.15.1

Perhaps this is a known issue?

Thankful for feedback.

//staffan52

Nov 9, 2019 1:29 PM in response to BORg529

Hi BORg529,

How is it possible that Time Machine has 32 bit programs installed.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean.

I made a controlled upgrade from Mojave to Catalina (which included the Time Machine SW) and all worked fine.

Before using my backup disk I renewed the formatting (Mac OS Extended) and also encrypted it.

It works fine to perform backups to it.

What 32 bit programs could be associated with Time Machine?

//staffan52

Nov 26, 2019 7:04 AM in response to Leanne_68

"Solution”

After upgrade to Catalina and before I made my first Time Machine backup I encrypted the backup disk.

Apparently the shutdown problems started then.

I tested to reformatting the backup disk without performing an encryption and then everything worked OK.

Could perhaps be an issue with encrypted backup disk, Time Machine and shutdown.

Jan 4, 2020 9:47 AM in response to staffan52

Experiencing the same thing on 10.15.2. Imac 2017 backup to WD 4TB for my internal SSD.

I started having the issue after updating to the first version of Catalina and can also confirm that I have encrypted my time machine from the beginning. I also tried to wipe it and make a new time machine on the same external HD but sadly had the same shut sown issues. However the second one was also encrypted cause I would never keep a time machine of my precious data on a drive without encryption.

If I forget to unmount the time machine before shut down I almost learned to live with having to pull the cord to the external drive to make it shut down. But this is a really silly bug that apple need to fix soon. I can imagine it is a wide spread issue.

Jan 20, 2020 8:08 AM in response to kimthejo

I also have this Time Machine shutdown problem. Only thing is I wasn’t sure if it happened after I updated to Catalina.

As I am typing this, my MacBook Pro hasn’t been able to shutdown for about 15 minutes. I could see my external 1TB hard drive indicator flashing but the screen is stuck showing Catalina.

I thought about pulling out the cable and forcing a shutdown regardless of what’s happening in the background. It is a silly problem because every process is supposed to be killed.

Feb 15, 2020 12:04 AM in response to staffan52

Evidently it is a known problem: if the Time Machine external drive is mounted, Catalina does not shut down.

I have two 12TB WD My Book Duos: 1 for Time Machine and another for my movie collection. I had to eject Time Machine for maintenance, but kept the 2nd DUO mounted to watch a movie. Catalina shut down afterwards - it does hang for maybe 15 seconds at the final wallpaper screen but it does shut down: iMac 17.1 (BTO maximum Apple configuration).

So currently its hard shut downs only or no backup. Is Craig Federighi and his team going to fix it soon? A MAC that doesn't shut down is unheard of.

Catalina shutdown problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.