Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos iCloud Uploading and Updating Issues

I'm running Photos version 5.0 on Catalina 10.15.1 and have been in the "Uploading" and "Updating" cycle for a few days. I noticed about a week ago that when I'd launch Photos on my laptop, that the normal sync process wasn't updating. I went looking online, and saw quite a few posts discussing this issue, pointing to issues with the Uploading process getting in the way of the Updating process - but I was seeing my Uploads continue to go down - so they weren't stuck. After a few days of letting Photos do its thing, I'm now in the "Updating" phase... and the item count at the bottom of Photos now accurately reflects the total of photos + videos that I see in iCloud when I view Photos in Safari. BUT... the photos that are missing on my Photos for Mac, aren't appearing as they do in iCloud and on my phone - and my MacBook Pro network interface shows no downloading traffic. There are a number of posts on this topic, but they're all older.... so I really need some help. Yes, I've turned iCloud Photos on and off, with and without restarts... I've waited for long periods of time... I jus don't know what it's doing... or how long I should wait. Should I delete my Photos library all together and start with a clean sync? That feels terrifying to do, but maybe it's the only way? Just so frustrating!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 5:23 AM

Resolved! - after waiting 10 hours of “Updating” status, my issue is now resolved. Everything is sync’d. Looks like the total process took 8 days of solid processing. My library is nearly 700GB, so I guess that makes sense, but indexing and displaying photos vs waiting them to load feel like they should be separate and more transparent.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 5:23 AM in response to Glewt

Resolved! - after waiting 10 hours of “Updating” status, my issue is now resolved. Everything is sync’d. Looks like the total process took 8 days of solid processing. My library is nearly 700GB, so I guess that makes sense, but indexing and displaying photos vs waiting them to load feel like they should be separate and more transparent.

Nov 5, 2019 3:12 PM in response to Glewt

Update: The status at the bottom of Photos changed from "Updating 73,079 items" to "Updating..." - so maybe that's progress? Still no change in the photos displayed - and the numbers above the status still reads 69,392 Photos, 3,240 Videos (72,632 items) - not the true number on iCloud (73,079).

Nov 6, 2019 3:07 PM in response to AndyCarter77

I'm not entirely sure how the various status titles changed. What I do know is that after repairing the library (honestly, not sure there was anything wrong with it, but a re-index can't be a bad thing), the status changed to something I hadn't seen before (Restoring from iCloud...) which gave me some hope. After a few hours of that status, it returned to "Updating", and then after another 10 hours of processing, it was updated. How big is your library? I would recommend the library repair (only takes about an hour), and then see if it doesn't resolve the same way mine did.

Photos iCloud Uploading and Updating Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.