Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32 bit or 64 bit ?

How do I find out whether my MacBook pro is 32 bit or 64 bit ? Looked at all the spec and cannot see anything ??

It is a MacBook Pro 12,1 running OS Catalina 10.15.1

Thanks for any info

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 9:01 AM

Unless you have a 12 year old MacBook or older, you don't have a 32 bit Mac. All Macs have been 64 bit since 2007.

Catalina would not run on a 32 bit Mac.

What you need to verify is if the software running on your Mac is 64 bit or 32 bit. Catalina cannot run 32bit software.

So if you try to run something on Catalina and it doesn't work its likely 32 bit.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 9:01 AM in response to redhunter350

Unless you have a 12 year old MacBook or older, you don't have a 32 bit Mac. All Macs have been 64 bit since 2007.

Catalina would not run on a 32 bit Mac.

What you need to verify is if the software running on your Mac is 64 bit or 32 bit. Catalina cannot run 32bit software.

So if you try to run something on Catalina and it doesn't work its likely 32 bit.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

Nov 6, 2019 9:20 AM in response to Phil0124

I noticed the OP said it was a MBP 12,1. Those date from 2015 which is relatively recent and would have 64 bit support, so I said, "In this context."

Since the computer is running Catalina that defines it as 64bit-only. Yes, there is the issue about running old software but that isn't what redhunter350 was asking, just if the computer is 32 or 64 bit. Running Catalina alone makes it 64 bit.

Nov 6, 2019 9:29 AM in response to Limnos

I know. I was being deliberately explicit when answering to get the point across, that all current Macs are 64 bit.

The rest was me assuming what the OP was actually talking about, and not whether the computer is 64 bit or not, which as you say in this context cannot be simply because its running Catalina. That leaves only the current software issue as a possible reason to be asking the question.

Nov 6, 2019 10:13 AM in response to Phil0124

Hi Thank you all who have replied now i understand --- I think ! -- not very tech when it come to computers !

However I just purchased a new Epson ET 2650 printer and I can print but no choices for photos ! Searching Epson site there is no listing for Catalina so I will contact them tomorrow - tried tonight but their system will not accept my email ????

Thanks again to all John

Nov 6, 2019 10:24 AM in response to redhunter350

Took me about a minute to find this:

[Edit: Deleted links to printer drivers because OP has already found a solution to this question and frankly nothing I am posting here seems to be helping in the least manner even though I thought my first post was a succinct reply to the question actually asked. I'll let Phil0124 continue helping with this topic. :-P]

32 bit or 64 bit ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.