Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -9836 and -50

What does error mean when I try to sign in.

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 11:46 AM

I have that error popping up for around 2 weeks in iTunes 11.4 on Mavericks. The former is raised when I try to update Genius, the latter when I try to sign in which always fails in 11.4 but, strangely enough, works in iTunes 10 on Lion.

Error 9836 is, most likely, a side effect of Apple changing some connection protocols, that rendered some functions related to iTunes Store (notably, Genius and previewing songs) non-workable. As for songs reviews in iTunes 10 on Lion, I'm still able to make purchases, sign out/in, play audio/video podcasts, but when I click on "Preview" I see a loading dialog flashing up, followed by the standard player controls bar, however the track doesn't start playing.

I think this is true, because some people managed to install iTunes 10 on most recent macOS (as new as Mojave) and there they don't have these errors which proves that it's something system-wide and not iTunes-specific. This is further, albeit, indirectly, corroborated by the fact that on High Sierra I don't have such connection errors and everything in iTunes 12.8.2 works as expected.

I'm afraid they put it on their "Not a regression" list of minor, non-affecting issues, which means the troubleshooting of this problem on their part is put on hold indefinitely.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 11:46 AM in response to 310cessna

I have that error popping up for around 2 weeks in iTunes 11.4 on Mavericks. The former is raised when I try to update Genius, the latter when I try to sign in which always fails in 11.4 but, strangely enough, works in iTunes 10 on Lion.

Error 9836 is, most likely, a side effect of Apple changing some connection protocols, that rendered some functions related to iTunes Store (notably, Genius and previewing songs) non-workable. As for songs reviews in iTunes 10 on Lion, I'm still able to make purchases, sign out/in, play audio/video podcasts, but when I click on "Preview" I see a loading dialog flashing up, followed by the standard player controls bar, however the track doesn't start playing.

I think this is true, because some people managed to install iTunes 10 on most recent macOS (as new as Mojave) and there they don't have these errors which proves that it's something system-wide and not iTunes-specific. This is further, albeit, indirectly, corroborated by the fact that on High Sierra I don't have such connection errors and everything in iTunes 12.8.2 works as expected.

I'm afraid they put it on their "Not a regression" list of minor, non-affecting issues, which means the troubleshooting of this problem on their part is put on hold indefinitely.

Error -9836 and -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.