Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

use magic trackpad without bluetooth

I have just bought a magic trackpad 2. I use high sierra on a 2010 macbook pro. I want to use it without bluetooth. The macstore person that sold it to me sad it would work wired with bluetooth turned off. I can't seem to make this happen. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 5:52 PM

Just tried it on my Mac mini and it works fine with Bluetooth off. The specs do say it requires a MacBook Pro 2012 or newer

Buy Magic Trackpad 2 for Mac in Silver - Apple

but one would think that is just to get the required Bluetooth 4.0 and shouldn't matter when used wired.

"System Requirements Bluetooth 4.0-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later".

High Sierra meets the OS X requirements.

I previously used my Trackpad 2 with a 2008 Mac Pro, which did not have Bluetooth 4.0. The automatic pairing by plugging in didn't work, but it would pair by turning the trackpad's power switch off then on. It also worked on that computer wired with Bluetooth off.

Are you plugged into a USB port on the computer, not via a hub? Do you have another Lightning cable to try?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 5:52 PM in response to tegan272

Just tried it on my Mac mini and it works fine with Bluetooth off. The specs do say it requires a MacBook Pro 2012 or newer

Buy Magic Trackpad 2 for Mac in Silver - Apple

but one would think that is just to get the required Bluetooth 4.0 and shouldn't matter when used wired.

"System Requirements Bluetooth 4.0-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later".

High Sierra meets the OS X requirements.

I previously used my Trackpad 2 with a 2008 Mac Pro, which did not have Bluetooth 4.0. The automatic pairing by plugging in didn't work, but it would pair by turning the trackpad's power switch off then on. It also worked on that computer wired with Bluetooth off.

Are you plugged into a USB port on the computer, not via a hub? Do you have another Lightning cable to try?

Nov 6, 2019 6:42 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you, Malcolm. That solved the problem. Apparently it needs to be plugged in first, then turned on - it won't work the other way around. I was also using a USB hub, which it doesn't seem to like either, and works only when plugged in directly. I am using a generic hub, and am hoping if I buy an Apple hub it will work.

I hope this is useful info for other users! I prefer to operate hard-wired, and avoid wireless tech when possible.

Thanks again!

use magic trackpad without bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.