Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old macbook won't connect to wifi

I have an old MacBook late 2008. I turned it on today and it will not connect to the WiFi. It says that it is connected but when I open Safari it will not work. Funny thing is that it will connect to google.com but when I type any search it says "You are not connected to the internet". Trying to update this old beast and give it to my teenager to use for school.

When I am in system preferences, network the WiFi is green and says connected. Not sure why it's not working. I have 2 MacBook Pro's and a Mac mini connecting via WiFi fine.

MacBook 13 inch Late 2008

Process 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 8:19 AM

OK, Pearljamluvr, I'll give it a go. What you'd have to do is go into system preferences, then network, then Wifi, then advanced, then TCP/IP and release and renew the DHCP Lease. Does it connect OK with Ethernet ? You might also have to go into the top wifi network at the top of your screen, and forget all the the previous wifi networks, then let it add them as it sees them.

You should also do a reset smc/pmu and zap pram. It's easy enough to do, but I forget the exact key combos to use. It also varies on if your battery is removeable or not. Upgrading the RAM in that model of MacBook is easy enough, and I think the most it'll take is 8 gigs.

john b

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 8:19 AM in response to Pearljamluvr

OK, Pearljamluvr, I'll give it a go. What you'd have to do is go into system preferences, then network, then Wifi, then advanced, then TCP/IP and release and renew the DHCP Lease. Does it connect OK with Ethernet ? You might also have to go into the top wifi network at the top of your screen, and forget all the the previous wifi networks, then let it add them as it sees them.

You should also do a reset smc/pmu and zap pram. It's easy enough to do, but I forget the exact key combos to use. It also varies on if your battery is removeable or not. Upgrading the RAM in that model of MacBook is easy enough, and I think the most it'll take is 8 gigs.

john b

old macbook won't connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.