Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone won't connect to Airport Express

Hi guys, I've set up my airport express to be its own wireless network sending a signal from a wireless mixer (Soundcraft Ui24r) It's a 2nd Gen airport express.

It works perfectly and can connect to it via a laptop. However, my mobile phone will not.

I have an iPhone 7 plus. My friend also has a different phone which will not connect. A samsung galaxy.

I updated to the latest software and it connected until I powered down, so know it can, which is highly frustrating!

Please help as I would like to be able to connect via phone!

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 9:43 PM

Reset the Airport and use new names.. all short with no spaces. Pure alphanumerics. Passwords should follow the same rules but can be longer.

If you setup in bridge it may not work.. even though you will get errors it should be used in router mode.. in order for it to handle multiple items. It all depends how you have it connected to the rest of the network.

You need to give us a bit more info about the setup.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 9:43 PM in response to gazzgman

Reset the Airport and use new names.. all short with no spaces. Pure alphanumerics. Passwords should follow the same rules but can be longer.

If you setup in bridge it may not work.. even though you will get errors it should be used in router mode.. in order for it to handle multiple items. It all depends how you have it connected to the rest of the network.

You need to give us a bit more info about the setup.

Nov 10, 2019 10:10 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you! The device was in bridge mode and changing it to DHCP & NAT lets it connect! Can you foresee any problems I may encounter having it on this setting? Basically my mixer unit (Soundcraft Ui24r) has its own built in wifi which doesn't work that well. I'm using the airport express to let me have a better connection to the mixer in order to use my phone to see the mixer controls over wifi. Many thanks

Nov 10, 2019 11:58 AM in response to gazzgman

The setup of the Express as a router is not quite correct and you will get errors in the Express which you can ignore. For independent setup of a device like your mixer it is your choice to configure it on the main network or off it. You appear to have chosen off your main network. There is nothing wrong with this. Most people do find it confusing having different wireless networks, but maintaining a couple of different networks is no problems especially if you make it clear via the SSID used in the router to specify the task.

On the other hand while your device is connected to the Express you don't have internet. So interconnecting the networks is a good idea for most setups where it is convenient.

You did not give us any info on how your main internet is setup or if you want to run them together.

Just to explain a bit further wireless in a client like your mixer usually has two modes of operation.

Infrastructure mode where it joins to the main wireless router. So you don't use the mixer standalone but as part of the network.

Ad hoc mode where it allows clients to join the mixer, but in isolation of other networks.

Your setup with the Express is continuing to use the mixer in ad hoc mode. Simply replacing the internal weak wireless with a better external unit presumeably connected by ethernet to the mixer.

Phone won't connect to Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.