Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of MacPerformance

I just updated to Catalina and now I get this annoying "MacPerformance" can't be updated..." message. I am having no luck getting rid of it. The directions I found say go to Applications and look for suspicious apps and delete them.

I'm not an IT person so don't know what files are suspicious and which are not, except for the obvious ones like Microsoft Office and other apps I'm familiar with. And I'm not downloading anything they suggest because I don't know what it might be. I have Malwarebytes and scanned but it's still there.

Please help!!

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 2:15 PM

Hi Terri,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Looking at the two screenshots, your applications look fine.

You could remove the ClamXav one if you wish. Virus programs tend to slow your computer down sometimes.

There a few others with a circle and a line though it which means they are not compatible with MacOS Catalina as the new operating system drops support for 32 bit applications. You can download the 64 bit version from the developers website if you plan on using them. you can also download an application called Go64 which lists all your 32 bit applications and a way to get the 64 bit version.

Malwarebytes is a good application to have! Try running it and see if it find the adware/Malware such as MacPerformance.

If Malwarebytes doesn't find it, you can refer to the instructions from babowa on how to remove it.

I hope this helps.

PS: don't worry about AppCleaner since you can't find the application in question MacPerformance in your applications folder and run Malwarebytes instead.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2019 2:15 PM in response to terririan

Hi Terri,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Looking at the two screenshots, your applications look fine.

You could remove the ClamXav one if you wish. Virus programs tend to slow your computer down sometimes.

There a few others with a circle and a line though it which means they are not compatible with MacOS Catalina as the new operating system drops support for 32 bit applications. You can download the 64 bit version from the developers website if you plan on using them. you can also download an application called Go64 which lists all your 32 bit applications and a way to get the 64 bit version.

Malwarebytes is a good application to have! Try running it and see if it find the adware/Malware such as MacPerformance.

If Malwarebytes doesn't find it, you can refer to the instructions from babowa on how to remove it.

I hope this helps.

PS: don't worry about AppCleaner since you can't find the application in question MacPerformance in your applications folder and run Malwarebytes instead.

Nov 8, 2019 12:48 PM in response to terririan

Hi terririan,

First, I would download an application called AppCleaner.

Once downloaded, open AppCleaner and then go to your applications folder and drag the MacPerformance application to the window of AppCleaner to remove all traces of the application from your Mac.

Regarding other suspicious apps, could you take a screenshot of your applications folder and I can help you take a look and get rid of anything that shouldn't be there.

To take a screenshot of a window, Press Shift-Command-5 to see the onscreen capture controls.

1. Click Capture Selected Window . Your pointer changes to a camera .
  2. Click a window, in this case your applications folder to capture that window.
  3. A thumbnail of the screenshot will briefly appear in the corner of your screen. After a few moments, the screenshot will appear on your desktop.

Once it appears on your desktop, click the image insertion icon (it's the second from the last one) when you create a new post in Apple's Support Communities to insert the image to your post.

I hope this helps.

Nov 8, 2019 1:34 PM in response to Soren Pearson

Hi Soren,

What's weird is I don't see MacPerformance in my Applications, it must be hiding somewhere!! Attached are the screen shots you requested. There are 2 because all wouldn't fit in the same screenshot. (Maybe 3 but 1 is a dupe...wasn't sure it attached.)

I'll be off the computer for a few hours so take your time responding. Thank you so much!

Terri

P.S. Didn't download AppCleaner because I didn't see MacPerformance.

How to get rid of MacPerformance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.