Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning cable charges ipad but not iphone 11 pro

I have noticed that my new iphone 11 pro won't charge with some lightning cables, but all of the cables and chargers work with my ipad and other iphones. Resetting doesn't help. If I plug in with the wrong cable it just never charges. Cables are all apple or certified.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 7:08 AM

After ios 13.2.2 i am getting “accessory may not be supported” when i plug in some cables using a charger i’ve had for years. So I am now pretty sure Apple software is the problem, randomly deciding whether or not to accept a lightning cable including some apple provided cables. the iphone 11 pro seems most sensitive to this. Another apple software problem!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2019 7:08 AM in response to Shichimi

After ios 13.2.2 i am getting “accessory may not be supported” when i plug in some cables using a charger i’ve had for years. So I am now pretty sure Apple software is the problem, randomly deciding whether or not to accept a lightning cable including some apple provided cables. the iphone 11 pro seems most sensitive to this. Another apple software problem!

Nov 9, 2019 1:30 AM in response to maddogxx

iOS 13 is more strict than previous versions as to what USB cables it permits. I have quite a few such cables that continue to work just fine with my family's iPhone 6es but not with our newer phones and iPads.

If you use a USB cable that still has Apple's blessing, your iPhone 11 Pro will charge just fine, albeit at a slower pace, with your iPad's power supply. You'll have to triage your cable collection to see which ones will be accepted by your new phone. Good luck.

Dec 9, 2019 11:56 AM in response to Shichimi

Re. "If you use a USB cable that still has Apple's blessing, your iPhone 11 Pro will charge just fine" – But why would an actual Apple Lighting cable not still have Apple's blessing?

I have the same problem maddogxx reported—with an original Apple 6-ft cable. It doesn't give a message; just nothing happens. The cable still works fine to charge my iPad, my Airpods case, etc.

This is an actual Apple cable, mind you, not just an Apple-certified one.

Strange.

Dec 11, 2019 4:00 AM in response to chcn

I share your pain. I also have a collection of cables, most of which are genuine but some of which (like my beloved 3m cables) are of unknown provenance. I have had all of my aftermarket 3m cables silently rejected by iOS 13, while continuing to work perfectly with devices that are still running iOS 12. One of my genuine Apple cables was similarly rejected, and I plan to visit Apple when I have a chance to ask about it. My HDMI and VGA adapters are genuine and still work, though others here are complaining of genuine adapters failing.

The Lightning interface is a proprietary standard, which Apple licenses to parties that pay for the privilege. In exchange for the license fees, these companies are instructed in the tolerances and secret inner workings of the interface. Even so, some older cables and adapters fall out of tolerance over time or fail simply because of manufacturing variations. With iOS 13, Apple has significantly tightened the tolerance as to what interface devices can still work with our iPhones and iPads.

I plan to ask a Genius why my new-looking genuine cable has stopped working under iOS 13. I wonder how many other customers have already asked the same question.

Lightning cable charges ipad but not iphone 11 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.