Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad IOS13 is restricting me from adding spaces on my text replacements.

I’m currently a student and I’m trying to find a way to limit the time in typing whole sentences or phrases by using the text replacement feature but it won’t let me add shortcuts that have spaces in them, what should I do?

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 12:29 AM

The triggerword for the shortcut cannot contain spaces, but the target text certainly can.

Apple, having very few linguists in their design department, put misleading labels in their instructions. In the example, "BRB" should have been labeled "Shortcut" and "Be right back!" should have been labeled "Phrase", not the other way around.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2019 12:29 AM in response to CyberCloud

The triggerword for the shortcut cannot contain spaces, but the target text certainly can.

Apple, having very few linguists in their design department, put misleading labels in their instructions. In the example, "BRB" should have been labeled "Shortcut" and "Be right back!" should have been labeled "Phrase", not the other way around.

iPad IOS13 is restricting me from adding spaces on my text replacements.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.