Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos to Aperture

How do I transfer Photos to Aperture?

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 10:59 AM

The option to share photos from Photos to Aperture has been there in all earlier versions of Photos, but has been removed in Photos 5.0 on Catalina, because Aperture is incompatible with Catalina. You cannot run Aperture 3.6 in Catalina any longer, because it uses old iLife dynamic libraries with 32-bit code.

As there is no officially supported way to run Aperture 3.6 any longer, the "Share to Aperture" command has been removed from Photos 5.0. Have you used an unsupported patch to get Aperture to run on Catalina? Usually the Aperture icon will be crossed out in the Applications folder.

To transfer photos from Photos to other applications you have to use the command "File > export " and either save the unmodified originals or the edited version to a folder. Then import into the other application you want to use.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2019 10:59 AM in response to Wharenu1

The option to share photos from Photos to Aperture has been there in all earlier versions of Photos, but has been removed in Photos 5.0 on Catalina, because Aperture is incompatible with Catalina. You cannot run Aperture 3.6 in Catalina any longer, because it uses old iLife dynamic libraries with 32-bit code.

As there is no officially supported way to run Aperture 3.6 any longer, the "Share to Aperture" command has been removed from Photos 5.0. Have you used an unsupported patch to get Aperture to run on Catalina? Usually the Aperture icon will be crossed out in the Applications folder.

To transfer photos from Photos to other applications you have to use the command "File > export " and either save the unmodified originals or the edited version to a folder. Then import into the other application you want to use.

Nov 9, 2019 8:51 AM in response to Wharenu1

Which system version do you have installed and which version of Aperture are you using?

Where are the photos currently stored, that you want to transfer to Aperture? Are they in a Photos Library? Photos has a command in the Share menu "Share > Add to Aperture". This will import the selected photos (the edited versions) to the most recently used Aperture Library. For all other imports to Aperture use the Import command.

Nov 9, 2019 2:08 PM in response to léonie

You are right on all counts. I came across a piece of software that promised to breath life into Aperture and it worked except that there were no photos. So I followed your advice and restored my Photos photos to Aperture ( a tedious process made more so by the fact the photos were not in folders). I am not sure how long Aperture will survive unsupported by Apple but it has been an instructive exercise. Thank you for helping me through it.

Regards

Photos to Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.