Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing File message in Photos for Mac when copying referenced files

In Photos for Mac, I am copying referenced files (which are on my MacBook hard drive) into a Photos library. For some files, I'm receiving a Missing File message which states "Photos with unavailable original files cannot be opened. The original photo IMG_0271.JPG is either offline or cannot be found. Click 'Find Original' to reconnect." However when I click 'Find Original' and navigate to the file location, it is grayed out in Finder and cannot be selected. Any ideas why this is occurring? Thank you

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 3:55 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 9, 2019 5:56 PM in response to léonie

Thanks so much for replying. Yes I can open the original in Preview, and I confirmed that the filename is exactly the same. It is not located inside the Photos Library or on an external volume, but rather it is within the "Macintosh HD > Users > [Username] > Pictures" folder. While most files have successfully copied into the Photos library, there are a handful that resulted in this message.

Missing File message in Photos for Mac when copying referenced files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.