Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What adapter do I need to get so I can connect to my flash drives to my new iPad (7th gen)?

What adapter do I need to get so I can connect to my flash drives to my new iPad (7th gen)?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, 13

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 2:27 PM

You need to purchase the actual, genuine Apple Lightning to USB-3 camera adapter, from Apple, and plug that adapter into power using your iPad charge cable and Apple power/charging block!

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to- usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37

You NEED TO PURCHASE THIS EXACT genuine Apple adapter!!

This is THE ONLY adapter that works!

Cheaper ( cheap in price and quality ) third party adapters WILL NOT WORK!!!!

With Lightning connector equipt iPads, you need this adapter as it has a power connection to power both the iPad and to connect a commonplace USB flash memory drive or portable SSD drive.

Without the additional power to the iPad, USB flash drives and portable SSD drives will NOT work with older iPads with the Lightning connector.

The Lightning connector alone cannot convey the necessary power requirements needed for normal USB style flash memory drives.

There are lots of YouTube videos that discuss and demonstrate this.

Best of Luck to You!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2019 2:27 PM in response to jobcoachdelmer

You need to purchase the actual, genuine Apple Lightning to USB-3 camera adapter, from Apple, and plug that adapter into power using your iPad charge cable and Apple power/charging block!

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to- usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37

You NEED TO PURCHASE THIS EXACT genuine Apple adapter!!

This is THE ONLY adapter that works!

Cheaper ( cheap in price and quality ) third party adapters WILL NOT WORK!!!!

With Lightning connector equipt iPads, you need this adapter as it has a power connection to power both the iPad and to connect a commonplace USB flash memory drive or portable SSD drive.

Without the additional power to the iPad, USB flash drives and portable SSD drives will NOT work with older iPads with the Lightning connector.

The Lightning connector alone cannot convey the necessary power requirements needed for normal USB style flash memory drives.

There are lots of YouTube videos that discuss and demonstrate this.

Best of Luck to You!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.