Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting MOV to mp4

I play violin and need to upload a chair test. How do I convert a MOV file from my iPhone to mp4? I don't trust any of the "free" converters online.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 3:57 AM

The MOV files that are created on iPhone and/or edited with QuickTime or iMovie, already do align with MP4 specifications.

In this specific situation, it would be safe to just rename the file extension.

Modern MOV files can have H.264 (AVC) video or H.265 (HEVC) video. Some upload sites may require H.264 for compatibility reasons. There are settings available to record in either format or convert that on export.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Recording: Settings﹥Camera﹥Formats﹥Most Compatible (AVC)|High Efficiency (HEVC).

Export: Settings﹥Photos (also for videos!)﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Automatic (depends on computer capability)|Keep Originals (same as recorded regardless of computer capability).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2019 3:57 AM in response to C_is_for_Cookie

The MOV files that are created on iPhone and/or edited with QuickTime or iMovie, already do align with MP4 specifications.

In this specific situation, it would be safe to just rename the file extension.

Modern MOV files can have H.264 (AVC) video or H.265 (HEVC) video. Some upload sites may require H.264 for compatibility reasons. There are settings available to record in either format or convert that on export.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Recording: Settings﹥Camera﹥Formats﹥Most Compatible (AVC)|High Efficiency (HEVC).

Export: Settings﹥Photos (also for videos!)﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Automatic (depends on computer capability)|Keep Originals (same as recorded regardless of computer capability).

Converting MOV to mp4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.