Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Severe battery drain continues, iOS 13.2.2, iPad Pro

Any new suggestions for a fix? I’ve tried all those listed in online articles.

Have had this problem since installing iOS 13, and 13.2.2 did NOT fix this problem. I unplugged my iPad at 6:15am (after charging to 100% overnight). Started using it to check the news. At 7:45, battery was 72% and dropping fast. it’s 8:15am and I’m at 62%. I’ll not get to noon without full depletion at this rate. I’m having to charge at least twice per day or stay attached to wall plug.

I installed 13.2.2 a few days ago, so apps should have had time to “catch up” with the release. Backlight is set low (too darned low for comfortable viewing). Safari is the big user at 87%, followed by Mail at 12%. No other apps are open. Safari has 4 tabs open, two of which are Apple. I continue to hope (foolishly maybe) that each new release will fix the problem, which began with installation of iOS 13. In another discussion, someone mentions re-doing a setting (clearing something?). I have not tried that yet, but don’t recall specifics and can’t find that discussion. Any help will be appreciated. iPad is my primary computer, and I need to be able to move around with it during the day. I don’t use Siri (some discussions blame Siri, I blame Safari).

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 6:51 AM

If you tried the commonly available advice (acknowledging that you’ve not listed the actual mitigation that you’ve attempted), If not tried already, I would suggest that you attempt restoring your iPad from iTunes on your PC/Mac. This will completely reinstall a fresh copy of iPadOS.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

An OTA update only replaces changed portions of the OS - so, if corrupted by a previous update, a further OTA-update or system restart is unlikely to resolve an existing system corruption. By contrast, as previously noted, a full restoration from your PC/Mac replaces the entire OS.

Provided that you have completed a backup prior to the restore process, you can simply restore your data after fixing the OS.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2019 6:51 AM in response to soart

If you tried the commonly available advice (acknowledging that you’ve not listed the actual mitigation that you’ve attempted), If not tried already, I would suggest that you attempt restoring your iPad from iTunes on your PC/Mac. This will completely reinstall a fresh copy of iPadOS.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

An OTA update only replaces changed portions of the OS - so, if corrupted by a previous update, a further OTA-update or system restart is unlikely to resolve an existing system corruption. By contrast, as previously noted, a full restoration from your PC/Mac replaces the entire OS.

Provided that you have completed a backup prior to the restore process, you can simply restore your data after fixing the OS.

I hope this helps.

Nov 22, 2019 8:33 AM in response to jomeara

This battery drain is NOT a common issue on iPads.

We are not seeing thousands of posts about iPads with severe battery drain.

So, clearly you need to do some settings changes with your iPad..

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS battery, performance/optimisation user tips link.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

DO NOT simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance/battery life “cure all”!

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help

improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Good Luck!

Nov 22, 2019 10:19 AM in response to jomeara

If still no joy with the battery drain issue,

The best you can do is alert Apple to this growing issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts

working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

You can submit multiple feedback about any Apple product issues.

Also, you may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the link below.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Good Luck to You!

Nov 22, 2019 10:20 AM in response to takeiteasy13

If still no joy with the battery drain issue after trying all of my user tips.

The best you can do is alert Apple to this growing issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts

working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

You can submit multiple feedback about any Apple product issues.

Also, you may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the link below.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Good Luck to You!

Nov 25, 2019 8:36 AM in response to soart

I have the same battery drain going on iPadOS 13.2.3 where power drops continually with no attribution to any activity showing in the battery setting just a steady drop in battery power. I gave checked the battery life using cocoanut battery and it shows having only 108 battery cycles. I have tried many battery saving suggestions with no satisfaction.

Nov 11, 2019 7:32 AM in response to soart

It’s really not as bad or onerous as it sounds - and provided you have taken the precaution of taking a backup, at worst doesn’t more than a couple of hours with a fast internet connection.

And no, you can’t downgrade an individual App, such as Safari. You can uninstall it, but if you reload the App from the App Store, it’ll be the latest version.

For what its worth, following stabilisation, iPads that I’ve updated to iPadOS now generally use about 15% of available battery per hour - so a usable continuous battery life of about 6.5 - 7hrs is now seemingly the new “normal”.

Nov 11, 2019 8:37 AM in response to LotusPilot

I make daily backups. I wasn’t clear: do not want to downgrade Safari to previous release, just want to get rid of scoundrel version and install current/clean version afresh. You alluded to not knowing what has been done thus far: closed all apps, closed all safari tabs, cleared history and data, hard restart multiple times, turned down screen brightness, turned off all background refresh, made sure no apps were allowed to run in background but only when in use, and other actions found on websites describing how to fix “battery problem” in iOS 13+.

Also, thanks for reassurance, but (dumb “burn-shy” questions ahead): doesn’t restore wipe everything clean? I think the last time I did that it took hours (and hours and h o u r s) to restore apps and data, reconstruct folders...and then over time discover some things had disappeared altogether. I’ve avoided doing that again ever since....burn me that bad, I learn not to repeat). Are we talking about the same thing? Are there instructions to re-install fresh iOS without obliterating the rest? Again: I appreciate your communication and effort to help. Maybe restore is better now?

10:22am, battery at 35%, activity shows Safari 87%, Mail 11%, Messages 1%, Home and Lock Screen 1%, and no other app activity. Most of Safari activity is trying to find solution, not watching videos or other hog activities, and even that hasn’t been constant since other things (not involving iPad) need to get done around here. When iPad not in use, it is asleep.

Wow....the new normal doesn’t really seem to be reasonable or acceptable. I’d much prefer Apple devote some time to enhancing battery performance rather than giving me purple horses I’ll never ever use.

Nov 11, 2019 9:10 AM in response to soart

Your expanded description suggests that you have indeed completed all the sensible steps to minimise power consumption on your iPad. If your iPad is discharging in just a few hours, then something unusual and unexpected is afoot!

My heavy testing of iPadOS13.x suggests that power consumption for an iPad Pro 10.5, for general usage (such as simply “surfing” - nothing processor intensive) at approximately 30-50% screen brightness, then 12-15% of battery capacity per hour appears to be expected; in practice, this equates to no more than 7hrs continuous usage prior to needing recharge. This is greater power consumption than iOS12.x - which, for equivalent usage, I could possibly squeeze 9hrs.

Assuming that you have a full backup in iCloud - then the full restore process from your PC will (a) wipe and totally re-install iPadOS - and once done, (b) invites you to restore your existing data (and all current settings) from your iCloud backup.

Unless you are very unlucky and have a “bad” backup, all will be restored to as it is now - except that your iPadOS installation will hopefully be as it should be, “clean” and with no corruption.

Nov 11, 2019 1:12 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM: I just checked the other posting and responded....its subject is 13.1.3, so I opened this specifically for 13.2.2. I’d prefer not to close the other because people are still trading a bit of info there. Plus you have replied there with some tips that might help some people (thank you).

Nov 11, 2019 3:18 PM in response to soart

Just FYI, I seem to be having similar issues. So prompted by the above I decide decide to do a complete restore today. I back up with a Lightning cable to the Music (“iTunes” for us oldtimers) application on my iMac.

I found that the complete erasure and restore process took around 90 minutes, with a bit longer for downloading some apps.

I have about 160 GB on an iPad Pro, which is about 2 years old or so.

The process was routine.

I’ll see if it helps with what seemed like rapid battery drain and balky recharging.

Nov 22, 2019 8:28 AM in response to jomeara

There is NO app eating up more of the battery than other apps?

Not one or even two?

What is your screen brightness set at?

If the screen brightness is set too high, this is an instant battery drainer for any iPad.

I know iPads have 4 GBs of RAM, but do you have lots and lots of apps just sitting in the iOS background switcher?

Do you have a lot of active website tabs open in a Web browser?

In Settings app , do you have Background App Refresh toggled OFF for any apps that do not need this active?

Could also toggle OFF Background App Refresh for any apps that always/constantly go out to the Internet to refresh its data.

There are a few other things you can do to preserve battery life and improve performance, also.

Nov 22, 2019 8:37 AM in response to takeiteasy13

See my queries and advice in my recent posts.

This is NOT a common problem.

iPadOS uses a lot more hardware/software resources, now.

So, you may need to change some settings and iOS behaviours to compensate for this unusual battery drain.

Not everyone with an iPad or iPad Pro is having this issue.

Reports here have been scarce on this severe or unusual battery drain topic.

Severe battery drain continues, iOS 13.2.2, iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.