Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Screen Saver

The Home Share screen saver option is very important to me as I like looking at family pictures while listening to music on my Apple TV and widescreen Television Set. Everything worked fine until the latest update to the Apple TV software. Now I either get a black screen when I select home share photos or the system reverts to aerial photos. I have about 120 photos on my iPhotos on the cloud. The only thing that has changed is my computer runs Catalina and my Apple TV software is up to date. I tried logging off iCloud and re logging on; turned off home share on my Mac Pro and then turning back on; rebooting Apple TV and my computer. Same router, modem, and internet service. This must be an Apple TV software glitch. Apple if you are listening please troubleshoot your software and send an update.

Apple TV 4, tvOS 13

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 10:40 AM

4 replies

Dec 5, 2019 9:27 PM in response to EastDog

I have never encountered any such issues during my vigorous testing and there is no indication that most users are having that experience. When issues do arise then proper troubleshooting needs to occur.

However, if everything has been verified and the issue persists then the only way for Apple to be aware of those issues is by giving them feedback.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Dec 5, 2019 10:53 PM in response to vazandrew

Huh?

So you've tested everything, in all configurations? And if you haven't seen it, it must not be an issue? I'm not sure exactly what you're doing here, trying to dismiss any concerns that you haven't stumbled across, but it's not helping or anything.

But maybe you can take a little break from testing everything... and check this out. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250692870

Nov 11, 2019 10:55 AM in response to sagreen

This is a user forum, you aren't addressing Apple here nor will they be reading this.

I will note that it is working fine on my system and I have not seen any other reports (if there was an issue with the software this forum would be flooded).

To verify the network try ethernet if on wifi and run a diagnostic report using istumbler or similar. You can also try taking it to another network or Apple for testing.

Dec 5, 2019 8:51 PM in response to sagreen

The screen saver using your photos from iCloud has been an utter mess for years. (sometimes the Screen Saver Settings don't see the photos or folders; sometimes it allows you to set what you want but it won't work under the preview and then doesn't work as a screen saver, and when this happens sometimes the screen saver never turns on, sometimes it goes black, sometimes it's black with a spinning icon, sometimes it reverts to Aerial; and on the occasion when it does work, I often end up seeing just a few photos repeated over and over again). I've tried myriad options to make it work, and make it stable, and it's just an ongoing mess... for continuing over 3 generations of Apple TV devices from Apple TV 3 to Apple TV4K . I keep expecting Apple to sort it out (and maybe, just maybe, add new features or flexibility), but they amazingly just make it worse.

Anyways, my point in posting is simply to confirm to you that "Yes, there is a problem" and "No, I don't have an answer as to how to make it work, but if you do find it working somehow how, whether unexpectedly as as a result of something you actively tried, know it may not stay that way."

Apple TV Screen Saver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.