Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Specific Notes folder on mac refuses to syc accross iOS devices.

Hello

I had reported an issue before where i updated to iOS13 on all my iOS devices, synced all my notes with the macbook running Majove 10.14.3, everything worked fine until i accidentally misplaced a Notes folder on the macbook ( i dragged it somewhere and could not find it).

I had recovered the files which where there, in iCloud, but not the folder..

So after creating a new folder and recovering the files (dragging them back and organizing them like they where in their own folders) the new or rebuilt folder refused to sync across all devices.

A user online advised me to log out of iCloud on the iOS devices to force delete anything on them, then log back in but nothing would sync..

I was then advised to save a safari web page to iCloud on the iOS devices to initiate the sync and it started to sync all the folders from my macbook but the new one had rebuilt!

I trying to figure out why i cant sync this single notes folder on my macbook with the iOS devices.

Please advise

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 8:50 AM

Its a very well known BUG ( i know its a word no on is allowed to use here) but it is what it is and its been a Apple issue since icloud servers and notes existed, the reason for it been ignored is that syncing issues can be linked to network speed. , but its 2019 and you can get pretty fast 3g 4g and public wifi if necessary., so its Apple's turn to get to work now.

For Apple to get their apps to work beyond their flashy (some times snake oil events) NOTES needs to be consistent with sync, you see Apple invested more time in hiding the folder paths from users, as well as spell checking and many more features they want to hold back and use as a sales pitch later ( if thy cant find a way to charge you for adapters).

But aside the facts, the way i got my ( 10gbs ) of notes to sync was by waiting a until folder structure appeared, i then would flip open the menu of folders with sub folders in them and try looking in notes of those folders to see if media content was synced., videos, photos etc, as soon as you reach a note with media content Apple Notes focuses on syncing that note, smart sync is what i call it.

You may have to fallow your structure to the last folder and last note yet this Smart sync feature providing better service ( and it does make sense) will only update that note and folder structure backwards, then return to syncing the whole general batch of notes depending on your network speed, your sleep mode etc.

Notes where limited before by the number of attachments but now Apple is only focused on limiting the view of the subfolder path in All notes as you can only see a lost file and one sub path folder.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 8:50 AM in response to rose_10

Its a very well known BUG ( i know its a word no on is allowed to use here) but it is what it is and its been a Apple issue since icloud servers and notes existed, the reason for it been ignored is that syncing issues can be linked to network speed. , but its 2019 and you can get pretty fast 3g 4g and public wifi if necessary., so its Apple's turn to get to work now.

For Apple to get their apps to work beyond their flashy (some times snake oil events) NOTES needs to be consistent with sync, you see Apple invested more time in hiding the folder paths from users, as well as spell checking and many more features they want to hold back and use as a sales pitch later ( if thy cant find a way to charge you for adapters).

But aside the facts, the way i got my ( 10gbs ) of notes to sync was by waiting a until folder structure appeared, i then would flip open the menu of folders with sub folders in them and try looking in notes of those folders to see if media content was synced., videos, photos etc, as soon as you reach a note with media content Apple Notes focuses on syncing that note, smart sync is what i call it.

You may have to fallow your structure to the last folder and last note yet this Smart sync feature providing better service ( and it does make sense) will only update that note and folder structure backwards, then return to syncing the whole general batch of notes depending on your network speed, your sleep mode etc.

Notes where limited before by the number of attachments but now Apple is only focused on limiting the view of the subfolder path in All notes as you can only see a lost file and one sub path folder.

Nov 15, 2019 10:02 AM in response to SkyStudio

Hello SkyStudio,

I understand you're trying to get a specific notes folder to sync to your iOS device. I am happy to help.

Follow the steps provided in the article below.

Share your notes on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac

If you're looking to import some notes into the Notes app then follow the steps in the article below.

Import your notes and files to the Notes app

Let me know if that resolves this issue for you. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. 

Take care.

Nov 15, 2019 10:24 PM in response to rose_10

I am sorry but the article you guided me does not provide any information about syncing or importing folders,

1- The first link describes sharing folders while

2- the second link describes the types of files can be imported as single notes.

neither links resolve the issues of folders refusing to sync, to be deleted, or disappearing etc

Specific Notes folder on mac refuses to syc accross iOS devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.