Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal fan grinding in 2009 Mac Pro

There's a fan on the middle shelf of my early 2009 Mac Pro. It's horizontal. When the fan is on it makes an annoying sound. The fan isn't usually on. If I put my thumb lightly on the fan's center the noise stops. Is there a way to fix this?

I only use this computer for an app that can't run on Catalina and a few other things.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 10:59 AM

The item in your picture is the Graphics card, located in the bottom PCIe slot. It has an integral fan.

To remove the card, push the button on the CHASSIS fan (standing upright to the card's left), and slide that fan to the left to move the stainless bar that is retaining the card in its slot. You will also need to remove the slot-card retainer strip (with two knurled retainers with Phillips screw slots) to the right of that card.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 10:59 AM in response to Thomas Kehoe

The item in your picture is the Graphics card, located in the bottom PCIe slot. It has an integral fan.

To remove the card, push the button on the CHASSIS fan (standing upright to the card's left), and slide that fan to the left to move the stainless bar that is retaining the card in its slot. You will also need to remove the slot-card retainer strip (with two knurled retainers with Phillips screw slots) to the right of that card.

Nov 12, 2019 1:48 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks! Unplugging the monitors also helped. :-) I cleaned out the dust and put it all back together. If it continues to make a noise I'll remove the plastic cover from the graphics card, the fan won't doing anything but the heat sinks will have more exposure.

The problem now is that my 23" Apple Cinema HD Display (A1082) won't power up. "System Preferences - Displays - Arrangement" shows the monitor but the LED indicator and display won't light up. I touched the power button on the side. I tried it on my MacBook and it's same, shows up in the "System Preferences" but won't power up. Any ideas?

Horizontal fan grinding in 2009 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.