Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shared library between old iTunes and music.app

Hi all!

I'm having troubles with my music/media-setup:

I have everything on 2 mirrored hard discs, because it's mostly ALAC.

• There's a mac at home (my good old MacBook Pro 17), which runs iTunes, and is the master (containing the musiclibrary and all files on its external harddisc)
  • And there's my Mac Mini (late 14), running 10.15.1, and consequently the newer "Music" app'. This device has its own hard disc, containing the mirrored music-library and the files.

Since I upgraded, there's problems:

1. music.app doesn't find new files. They're displayed as "in the Cloud" (although the library should direct them to the physical file on the local HD. But this is only for some files, not at all all of them! This happens even if I delete the new musiclibrary and start Music from the "master-music-library.lib" on the hd.
  2. music.app can't update the library from the cloud. It connects (through a hot-spot) and hangs there. sometimes it tells me that "something/some error occurred.

I understand that there may be some compatibility issues, but that stuff is strange. And—is there anybody having those issues too? Could they be solved?

Thanks!

david

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 11:47 AM

Double-clicking .itl or .musiclibrary files causes the application to open, but not necessarily the clicked library. To open the .itl file in Music you would need to opton-start-Music, and then it would make a new converted version of the iTunes library. Check out https://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php - he's been adding or updating scripts to support Music. E.g. Media Folder Files Not Added.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 11:47 AM in response to david braun

Double-clicking .itl or .musiclibrary files causes the application to open, but not necessarily the clicked library. To open the .itl file in Music you would need to opton-start-Music, and then it would make a new converted version of the iTunes library. Check out https://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php - he's been adding or updating scripts to support Music. E.g. Media Folder Files Not Added.

tt2

Nov 12, 2019 11:26 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for helping out, turingtest2!

Whenever the two hard discs are connected to the same computer, CCC dials in and mirrors disc "A" onto disc "B".

This seems to be the problem, although I thought that if I open Apple Music by dbl-clicking the iTunes-library it would catch up with the contents.

Is there a way to get Apple Music to recognize physical additions to the media folder? Script?

david

Nov 12, 2019 11:42 AM in response to turingtest2

Ok, this seems to clarify things. This seems so un-intuitive: double-clicking a file opens the application but not the file...

Thank you for the links to dougs scripts! This seems to be a workaround albeit not a solution (which probably won't happen, as times go...)

I'm eager to check the "methods" (alt-open, and the scripts), and will tell the community how it went.

Thank you!

shared library between old iTunes and music.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.