Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried to download the Disney plus app on my Ipad2. And it says not compatible with this device.

I tried to download the Disney plus app on my Ipad2. And it says not compatible with this device.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 9:50 AM

29 replies

Dec 23, 2019 7:16 AM in response to beganvt

Again, that is completely false, Apple does not limit this in any way, proof is in the abundance of Apps in store that specifically state they can be run on iOS 8 or iOS 9. Just because Netflix chooses not to maintain their own apps for iOS 9 available in the store for download does not mean Apple is limiting them in any way.

Here are just a few samples of apps that work on iOS 10 or earlier that exist in the app store and are evidently allowed to be there:

‎Flashlight Ⓞ on the App Store iOS 8

‎DC Comics on the App Store iOS 9

‎Xbox on the App Store iOS 10

‎Pinterest on the App Store iOS 9

‎Mactracker on the App Store iOS 8

Netflix has removed the old versions from the store themselves while maintaining support for installed versions. Be mad at them for it.

Apple is not limiting this in any way shape or form.

Nov 27, 2019 12:35 PM in response to JLARNOLD79

This is completely and entirely false. You are lying.

App developers are free to support older iOS versions as much as they want. There are even supported ways of getting access to older versions of apps for older versions of iOS in many cases.

Disney+ is a brand new service, with a brand new App, it is entirely up to Disney to make it available for older iOS versions. They chose to requires iOS 11 or later. Complain to Disney for that.

The problem does exist with other platforms. The Disney+ App requires Android 5 or later. why not android 3? what happens if I have an older device that is running Android 2 or 3? I can't download Disney+.

Nov 27, 2019 12:39 PM in response to JLARNOLD79

Complain to the all app developers, that have moved on to support more modern Apple mobile hardware and iOS versions then!

Apple has no control or authority over what third party app developers do or do not do!

FYI,

Android app developers DO the exact same thing even sooner than app developers do on iOS!

I have and use a Google Android phone!

I am more of an iPad user than an iPhone user.

I got nearly 2 years of Android support from Google and that was it!

AND only a total 3-4 years of app support from third party apps developers.

For the past year, or so,I haven't got a single app update for my Android phone!, at all

Compared to my iPads which got 5 years of support and many of my third party apps are still being supported 2-3 years later making a total of over 8 years of iPad support.

Nov 27, 2019 12:37 PM in response to JLARNOLD79

Every iOS is a bit different. So say Disney wants to be compatible with iOS9, 10,11, 12 and 13, they need to write five different versions of the app. So they need to put out 5 different apps that all do the same thing.

That’s every expensive. ANd with each new feature or option that’s 5 different versions that need to be made....which is why DIsney and others abandon older iOS versions....it’s not cost effective to pay someone to make an app that not very many people have.

They and every other app developer out there, have very specific cost/benefit ratios where to be maintained, an IOS needs to have a certain number of users. ANd once the number of users drop below that level then it is no longer profitable to pay someone to maintain that iOS version for their app.

If a developer wants to distribute multiple versions of their app to have it accessible from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 13, Apple will not stop them.

But for the same reason Paramount no longer sells VHS movie copies, developers stop supporting older iOS versions.

And apple or android, it’s all the same. They all backstop eventually.

Nov 27, 2019 1:05 PM in response to MichelPM

Yup. Android tends to stop OS updates quite soon for anything outside the flagship models.

App updates are even more sporadic and short lived.

My mother uses a Motorola g5, and only got Android 8.1 Oreo in July. Almost 2 years after its original release, and I doubt it will get anything else beyond that.

Some Apps continue to be updated, but for the most part, its on its last legs at this point.

In contrast my iPhone 5 from 2012, even though its still on iOS 9, does still get app updates every now and then.

My iPhone 6 (from 2014) at iOS 12, is still getting full updates consistently for all apps it has installed.

Dec 9, 2019 8:43 AM in response to Skydiver119

i have an IPAD 4th Gen and have been very ahppy with its performance until this day, until i wanted to watch Disney+ that is. i couldnt get the app and never will unless i buy a new Ipad, which i wont because it still runs very well. i just didnt think running a streaming service like netflix or amazon prime which work fine requires a whole new ipad. but yeah, apple does dictate minimum IOS version an app can run on, but it sint IOS 11 and if Disney wanted to could make an IOS 9 version. so yeah, it is on Disney, just wish i could use it with IOS 10 and 9 seems new enough for it to work on as well.

Dec 9, 2019 10:17 AM in response to Fungus123

Apple does not dictate anything to app developers other than to follow Apple's app guidelines for developing an app and selling it in Apple's App Store/s.

It is purely the decisions of the the third party app developers which mobile devices and which versions of a mobile OS they want to support.

I betcha Disney+ does not run on any Android devices that got support dropped 3-5 years, ago!

It is the app developer that makes these decisions and NOT Apple.

All of the major streaming services have moved on to a higher minimum iOS version, now, with some older apps that already exist on users’ devices still being supported and working and some that are not.

It is the way it is

Both Apple and app developers are not going to continue supporting 7, 8 and 9 year old mobile hardware.

The 4th gen iPad is an over 7-year old device.

The beginnjng of 2019 was the start of third party app developers more quickly dropping support for all of Apple's 2011-2012 iDevices.

It is going to be the same scenario for any iPad that just ended its support life at iOS 12.4.3.

In 2-3 years, third party app support is going to go away.

This is the way it is.

Dec 10, 2019 8:55 AM in response to MichelPM

yeah, i understand all that and tech moves quickly. but streaming media is the most basic of functions that it still feels dumb i have to buy a whole new ipad to stream media. i mean how much hardware and software requirements is really necessary to navigate a video library tap on something you want to watch, and watch it. i mean even a DVD players UI can do that. again, i point the finger a developer, not apple. Apple would allow an IOS 9 version of Disney Plus to run if the developer coded it that way.

Dec 10, 2019 9:04 AM in response to Fungus123

Fungus123 wrote:

yeah, i understand all that and tech moves quickly. but streaming media is the most basic of functions

The fact that streaming media is a common function doesn't make t technologically "simple". Streaming media is actually a fairly complex function. It requires increasingly powerful hardware. Older smart televisions will soon no longer support NetFlix. You're not just navigating a library. The streaming protocols determine what version of the stream you should get based on your connection speed. There is rights management built in that prevents you from recording the stream. As the streaming protocols do more, they require more powerful hardware to decode the streams on the user end.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.