Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv resolution

Hi I own a 4k tv and an Apple Tv, I always use the 4K 30Hz SDR witch is the maximum resolution for my tv. Recently I switched for error in 640x480 60Hz SDR, now it can't change the resolution anymore, even with other resolutions, it woks ONLY in 640x480.

The strange thing is that if I connect the Apple TV to other HDMI port it works in 4k, and if i connect the Mac to the "broken" HDMI port it works perfectly in 4k. So, how can I can get the 4k resolution back to work?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 4:06 PM

Try cycling through the available display modes.

If your Apple TV won't turn on - Apple Support
• On Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, hold Menu and Volume Down for 5 seconds, then release. Your Apple TV will switch to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 4:06 PM in response to Peppe_WH

Try cycling through the available display modes.

If your Apple TV won't turn on - Apple Support
• On Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, hold Menu and Volume Down for 5 seconds, then release. Your Apple TV will switch to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.

apple tv resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.