Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix this Java popup from appearing after upgrading to Catalina? > "To use the “java” command-line tool you need to install a JDK."

How do I fix this Java popup from appearing after upgrading to Catalina? > "To use the “java” command-line tool you need to install a JDK."

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 3:20 AM

4 replies

Nov 17, 2019 12:04 PM in response to KylieLewis

Hello KylieLewis,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're encountering a "To use the "java" command-line tool you need to install a JDK" pop-up on your Mac running macOS Catalina.

I suggest confirming that if there is an update available for Java, which can be found here:

Java SE Development Kit 13 - Downloads

You may also want to take a look at the following support page, which provides additional steps to take specific to macOS Catalina:

Using the JDK or JRE on macOS Catalina (10.15)

If you're still encountering the pop-up, you'll want to reach out to Oracle Support using the 'Contact' link at the upper-right of either of those pages.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2019 12:20 PM in response to KylieLewis

Hi KylieLewis, Joseph_S. and Chivne!

This thread did not reach the "solved" state as far as I can see. Two replies of Joseph_S. (with suggestions) and of Chivne (who tried those sussestions obviously) did not lead to any success. I think there will be many more users who want to fix this problem.

In previous OS X versions I succeeded to get rid of these error messages, pssibly because those OS X systems were still 32-bit. Catalina is 64-bits, maybe that has anything to do with this problem. I saw nowhere any solution to this issue so far.

Willem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.