Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow loading and downloading of gmail emails and attachments

Hi

I have an iMac (software 10.14.6), iPhone (software 13.2.2) and iPad (software 13.1.2). On each device I have a number of mailboxes/ email addresses. I have notice that in the last 7 days or so, emails from the gmail addresses and any attachments are taking a long time to "arrive" and also download the attachments.

Any thoughts on resolving the issues?

Thanks

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 10:11 AM

Hello, Openheaven.

I've been having the very same issue, viz., Apple's Mail app has suddenly begun to download new messages from my Gmail account very slowly — by which I mean that after clicking on the Mail icon in my Dock, the app opens (evidenced by the menubar), but the "Viewer Window" doesn't display for (sometimes) up to 15 or 20 seconds. When it does so, the messages populate the window almost instantly, as before, and all other features of the app continue to work normally (as before all this began). Quitting and immediately re-opening the Mail app yields the very same behavior, except that the delay appears to be a bit shorter than the day's initial opening.

Initially, I thought this may result of processing of Rules I had set up in Mail's Preferences, but disabling all of the Rules has had no perceptible effect on this problem. Nor does this improve if I disable all Junk Mail filtering. Moreover, if I were to log into my Gmail account via Safari, the Inbox messages continue to display almost instantly, whereas if I were to open the Mail app at this time (Safari still open to my Gmail page), it still takes anywhere from 10 - 20 seconds to display the information..

Prior to this strange and unwelcome behavior of Apple's Mail app, I hadn't made any changes to my Apple Mail Settings, nor to my Google Account's Mail Settings, nor to my router settings (Airport Extreme) or cable modem. Nor am I experiencing any other perceptible slowdown in Web traffic, including the sending and receiving of messages once Mail is open and running. This has been a vexing problem to try to resolve.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2019 10:11 AM in response to Openheaven

Hello, Openheaven.

I've been having the very same issue, viz., Apple's Mail app has suddenly begun to download new messages from my Gmail account very slowly — by which I mean that after clicking on the Mail icon in my Dock, the app opens (evidenced by the menubar), but the "Viewer Window" doesn't display for (sometimes) up to 15 or 20 seconds. When it does so, the messages populate the window almost instantly, as before, and all other features of the app continue to work normally (as before all this began). Quitting and immediately re-opening the Mail app yields the very same behavior, except that the delay appears to be a bit shorter than the day's initial opening.

Initially, I thought this may result of processing of Rules I had set up in Mail's Preferences, but disabling all of the Rules has had no perceptible effect on this problem. Nor does this improve if I disable all Junk Mail filtering. Moreover, if I were to log into my Gmail account via Safari, the Inbox messages continue to display almost instantly, whereas if I were to open the Mail app at this time (Safari still open to my Gmail page), it still takes anywhere from 10 - 20 seconds to display the information..

Prior to this strange and unwelcome behavior of Apple's Mail app, I hadn't made any changes to my Apple Mail Settings, nor to my Google Account's Mail Settings, nor to my router settings (Airport Extreme) or cable modem. Nor am I experiencing any other perceptible slowdown in Web traffic, including the sending and receiving of messages once Mail is open and running. This has been a vexing problem to try to resolve.

Feb 2, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Sean.Gum

Hey apple, anyone listening?

Exact same issue. Ever since I moved to 13.3 and 13.3.1 my GMail mails takes forever to download in the iPhone mail app. It’s instant through the native Gmail app and on my Android phone, my spouses iPhone is also facing the same issue.

Are you trying to intentionally slow down Google? Is this another iPhone slowing down issue? This is a completely unacceptable. Mail is such an integral part of the iPhone, how can this get past your “wonderful” QA team?

Nov 17, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Openheaven

Hi Openheaven,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are experiencing a concern with your Gmail email account on your Mac and iOS devices. I'd like to help.

Have you isolated this behavior to your Gmail account only? Or, do you have other accounts set up on your Mac and iOS devices that are also experiencing the same concern? What type of network are you connected to when this behavior occurs? Does it happen on a specific network/location, or every network/location?

You can find some troubleshooting steps related to email issues in the below resources as well:

Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac - Apple Support.

If you can’t send or receive emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

If you need continued support, reach back out with an update on your issue, and responses to the questions above.

Regards.

Dec 9, 2019 12:27 PM in response to i_rina

I having the same issue on both my iPhone and iPad. It happens with any network and also when I am using my 4G. In both devices it is taking too long to download google messages. My other accounts are downloading fine. I also noticed that I do not have this issue when I open my google messages with my desktop through Outlook.

Dec 10, 2019 3:17 AM in response to anaflora

Any idea how to actually speak / interact with anyone at Google? I believe that there is some kind of corruption or setup issue with the underlying Gmail account that causes a conflict with the Fetch processing of the Apple Email App. I guess I could move to a new Gmail address, but that is so painful in terms of notifying people, etc.

Jan 20, 2020 2:07 AM in response to marc77777

Has this problem been resolved? Recently it is taking ages for Gmail Email headers to download on my IPad Air whereas they appear instantly on my Android phone. It would appear that others do have the same problem so I would expect an easy fix. I did not have the problem when I first acquired the iPad a few months ago and set it up using a backup from my aging IPad 3rd generation.

Jan 20, 2020 10:29 AM in response to PeterBal

No. The problem continues and I have been completely thwarted in getting any support from Google. the Apple Support folks tried for a while, but gave up. I even spent 2 hours in the apple store where we drastically reduced the size of my Gmail backlog, etc., tried reinstalling everything, etc. NO SATISFACTION. Seems to be correlated between my Gmail account and any apple email app. Same problem on all of my apple devices, but just with this gmail account. I have others that seems to perform OK.

Slow loading and downloading of gmail emails and attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.