Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need WPA2 Password

I tried to log a friend his MacBook Pro onto our Guest WiFi account.

I entered the right password but was challenged with a request for a "WPA2 password".

I've never had to provide one when logging onto other Guest WiFi accounts, and can log on with my own devices without supplying one.

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 12:28 PM

In the airport change your setting to WPA2 personal here if it is WPA/WPA2.

If that does not work.. then I would change both the wireless name (SSID in normal speak) and password..

It is easier to change name and password together.

Use short names with no spaces and pure alphanumerics. NOT APPLE NAMES. Those are recommended during setup but derive from a different network era. Jurassic.. when Apple ruled the earth. Now even apple uses SMB.. ie windows file sharing protocol.

Password same rules.. but as long as you need. Mixed case and numbers.. but stick to alphanumerics as it makes it easier to comply with SMB rules.

Sorry I need to add for guest as per your original post.

Many times people use no password on their guest account being less worried about security since guest cannot use local resources just internet. Are you sure you set the guest wireless password??

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2019 12:28 PM in response to DaleH

In the airport change your setting to WPA2 personal here if it is WPA/WPA2.

If that does not work.. then I would change both the wireless name (SSID in normal speak) and password..

It is easier to change name and password together.

Use short names with no spaces and pure alphanumerics. NOT APPLE NAMES. Those are recommended during setup but derive from a different network era. Jurassic.. when Apple ruled the earth. Now even apple uses SMB.. ie windows file sharing protocol.

Password same rules.. but as long as you need. Mixed case and numbers.. but stick to alphanumerics as it makes it easier to comply with SMB rules.

Sorry I need to add for guest as per your original post.

Many times people use no password on their guest account being less worried about security since guest cannot use local resources just internet. Are you sure you set the guest wireless password??

Need WPA2 Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.