Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

autofs not mounting drives on Catalina

I'm attempting to use autofs to mount some network shares on Catalina. It does not appear to be even attempting to mount drives. I am not seeing any authentication requests on the NAS itself.

I added the below line to /etc/auto_master

/-      auto_smb        -nosuid,noowners,nofail
/-      auto_afp        -nobrowse,nosuid

In /etc/auto_smb, I have added:

/Music -fstype=smbfs,soft,noowners,nosuid,rw ://<username>:<password>@<ipaddress>:/Music
/Video -fstype=smbfs,soft,noowners,nosuid,rw ://<username>:<password>@<ipaddress>:/Video

Below are the results of trying to use the mounts:

iMac:Volumes gabe$ sudo automount -cv
automount: /System/Volumes/Data/home updated (/home -> /System/Volumes/Data/home)
automount: /System/Volumes/Data/Music updated (/Music -> /System/Volumes/Data/Music)
automount: /System/Volumes/Data/Video updated (/Video -> /System/Volumes/Data/Video)
automount: no unmounts
iMac:Volumes gabe$ cd /Video
-bash: cd: /Video: No such file or directory
iMac:Volumes gabe$ cd /System/Volumes/Data/Music/
-bash: cd: /System/Volumes/Data/Music/: No such file or directory

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 1:13 PM

This should work if you modify the mount points in your auto_smb file to match the new Catalina filesystem structure:

/System/Volumes/Data/Music -fstype=smbfs,soft,noowners,nosuid,rw ://<username>:<password>@<ipaddress>:/Music
/System/Volumes/Data/Video -fstype=smbfs,soft,noowners,nosuid,rw ://<username>:<password>@<ipaddress>:/Video

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2019 1:13 PM in response to catalinaaaaa

This should work if you modify the mount points in your auto_smb file to match the new Catalina filesystem structure:

/System/Volumes/Data/Music -fstype=smbfs,soft,noowners,nosuid,rw ://<username>:<password>@<ipaddress>:/Music
/System/Volumes/Data/Video -fstype=smbfs,soft,noowners,nosuid,rw ://<username>:<password>@<ipaddress>:/Video

autofs not mounting drives on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.