Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Direct Download of High Sierra dmg file (NOT app store)

Hi -- is there a link anywhere on apple.com to download high sierra directly, NOT through the app store? I have a 2014 macbook air that i'm trying to upgrade from 10.12 to 10.13. I tried Mojave on it and it didn't run well. The download in the app store keeps failing with no way to resume the download (will only download to 275 kb). At least if I download in Safari I can resume the download. I've found some links for direct download from some pretty sketchy 3rd party websites. I'd prefer to download directly from Apple.

There doesn't seem to be any way to effectively resume a download from the app store on 10.12.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 9:13 AM

4 replies

Nov 15, 2019 10:00 AM in response to BDAqua

dang -- thanks for the suggestion. Apple is really starting to lose it's luster for me. Everything used to just work, and now it seems anything you want to do that's not within the scope of how they think you should be using the stuff you've bought from them is just hard these days. Combined with the subpar hardware they put out these days -- I never thought I'd say this, but I'm thinking about leaving the Cult and switching to PC. RIP Steve Jobs, we miss you.

Also, why in the world would they not have a direct download link when there's 3rd party sites that have it??? Know of any 3rd party site are trustworthy? I found this one but it feels like the back alley of the internet: https://isoriver.com/mac-os-high-sierra-10-13-iso/

Nov 15, 2019 9:51 AM in response to jimp823

Nope. :(

Closest is...

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Scroll down to item 4 in the above document.

Of course as others have pointed out sometimes this results in only getting a 'stub' installer which is not suitable for then creating a bootable USB drive installer.

The way that I have found that is consistently able to download full installers is to run installinstallmacos.py as per

https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

Ideally you run this on the Mac model you want to install on to.

Nov 15, 2019 11:48 AM in response to jimp823

Yeah, I think it's bizarre that one can't download the whole works.

I don't have the Bandwidth or Data to download that ISO & compare it to Apple's, in fact I have to save up Data for 2 or 3 months just to get a Huge multi GB update! :(

And we used to laugh at Windows® users & their huge 1 MB updates, or the need to re-install... LOL, now apple builds in a Reinstaller! :O

Direct Download of High Sierra dmg file (NOT app store)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.