Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I merge two photo libraries?

Yesterday I moved all my Aperture photos to Mac Photos. Now I have two Photos Libraries. Can I merge them so I only have one? I tried looking this up, but perhaps wasn't wording it correctly.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 10:55 AM

With PowerPhotos you have these options in merging one library into another:

Also copied will be the metadata including keywords, descriptions, titles, dates, and favorite status.

When I've done it I've picked the smaller library with fewer projects to copy into the larger of the two libraries. Also make sure you have current backups of the libraries just in case.

The iCloud Library method is a more complete merge but will take longer and you'll have to purchase enough iCloud Drive space to hold the merged libraries.

PowerPhotos has a demo version which will do everything except merge libraries and search for duplicates.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2019 10:55 AM in response to Nancy Saxhaug

With PowerPhotos you have these options in merging one library into another:

Also copied will be the metadata including keywords, descriptions, titles, dates, and favorite status.

When I've done it I've picked the smaller library with fewer projects to copy into the larger of the two libraries. Also make sure you have current backups of the libraries just in case.

The iCloud Library method is a more complete merge but will take longer and you'll have to purchase enough iCloud Drive space to hold the merged libraries.

PowerPhotos has a demo version which will do everything except merge libraries and search for duplicates.

Nov 15, 2019 11:00 AM in response to Nancy Saxhaug

Merging in iCloud is the only way to merge the two libraries while preserving the lossless workflow and keeping the originals and edited versions paired so you can revert to the original.

It would have been easier to do all merging of libraries while you still could use Aperture to merge libraries.

Photos has no tools to merge libraries other than in iCloud.

Can I merge two photo libraries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.