Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete file extensions on files in sub folders?

I want to delete all file extensions on the files I have in several sub folders.

If I highlight the files themselves in a folder and run "Get Selected Finder Items", then "Replace Text in Finder Item Names", then it works. However, how can I have Automator choose ALL files in ALL sub folders of a folder and then do it's magic on all those files at once?

Thanks.

17" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Dual 2GHz G5, 17" 1.5GHz Powerbook, PCs.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 9:37 AM

8 replies

Jul 16, 2010 3:45 PM in response to Don_McCracken

Does the Notebook software accept aliases? If so, you could rename aliases instead of the main file, so that the original extensions are preserved.

For your original question, you can use an action to get the folder contents, and adding a filter action will just give you the file names - for example:

1) *Get Selected Finder Items*
2) *Get Folder Contents* (repeat for each subfolder found)
3) *Filter Finder Items* -- remove items that are folders
4) *Replace Text in Finder Item Names*

Jul 18, 2010 9:17 AM in response to red_menace

Thank red_menace, that formula worked! 🙂 However, I had to omit step 3 as it gave an error message. I tried both "Kind is folder" and "Kind is text". But it worked without that step.

I know it's a bad idea to remove extensions, but these files are just copies for this purpose and they really needed no file extension to show up correctly in Notebook.

Thanks again,
Don

How do I delete file extensions on files in sub folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.