Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina - Empty folder in trash after login.

Since upgrading to macOS Catalina I find that every time I login there is an empty folder in the trash called "Recovered files". I delete it, but it returns !

I've tried booting in recovery and running First Aid in Disk Utility to no avail.

I pride myself in running a tidy ship and this little annoyance has me beaten.

Any help to resolve this would be most welcome.

Mac Pro, 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 11:49 AM

10 replies

Nov 17, 2019 9:52 AM in response to Mac-Hack

Many users get the Recovered Files folder. I get one each time I install Catalina. See If the Trash contains folders of recovered files on Mac - Apple Support. Once deleted it should not reappear in the Trash as far as I understand. Perhaps, you should try reinstalling Catalina.

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up, if possible.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Nov 22, 2019 7:40 PM in response to Mac-Hack

Do you have an empty Home folder on the internal drive? You should keep the original one created when you installed macOS. Rather than moving the Home folder to an external drive you can move the folders in the Home folder - Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, and Pictures. These are the ones containing most of your data. Then create aliases to those folders and replace the folders in the internal Home folder with the aliases.

This method involving the Terminal and aliases is discussed in depth here: Using OS X with an SSD plus HDD setup - Matt Gemmell. This is my preferred approach because I can select which of the Home's folders I want on the HDD and which I don't want. For example, I like to keep the Documents and Library folders on the SSD because I access their content frequently.

Nov 19, 2019 10:55 AM in response to Mac-Hack

Quite frustrating. I did some more searching for a possible solution. I found the following, excerpted from a reply about a similar problem:

If you're interested in tracking down the culprit, try this:

• Reboot, empty your trash, and reboot again. If Recovered Files appears in your trash after the second reboot, the culprit is an application that launches on login (check through apps that create icons in the upper-right menubar.)
    • If no Recovered Files appears, try opening an application you use frequently, using it a little bit (make a new document, save something) and reboot. See if Recovered Files appears. Repeat until found.

Perhaps, this may help.

Nov 16, 2019 2:22 PM in response to Mac-Hack

You may try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities' folder and paste the following at the prompt:

rm -Rf

^ is a space after -Rf

Open the Trash, select the Recovered Files folder, then drag it into the Terminal window. Press RETURN. The folder should disappear. If you get a permission error, then the folder is protected. Add "sudo " in front of rm -Rf ("sudo rm - Rf ") and press RETURN. You will be asked to provide your admin password. It will not be echoed to the Terminal window so type carefully, then press RETURN again.

Nov 22, 2019 2:29 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks again for your help with this. I tried the above but it didn't resolve the matter.

However, further investigation since seems to point to Catalina OS not liking my Home Folder residing on an External Drive.

In creating a New User on the international drive I noticed when logging in & out that the issue had stopped. No folder in trash.

Unfortunately, my Home Folder is too large to move back onto the internal drive so it looks like I may have to wait for a future update of Catalina to resolve this.

Using an external drive as my Home Folder has been very efficient. All previous OS back to Sierra have worked very well with this configuration.

macOS Catalina - Empty folder in trash after login.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.